[obol] Re: Bridgeport BBS opening

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tom Winters <ducksouptom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 11:53:22 -0700

Tom, I wish I lived closer.  This route is gorgeous and stuffed with birds.
Sheran Wright and I were there in late spring recently (two years ago?) when
it was swarmed with late-migrant tanagers, and I covered it on the Atlas
project.  Among other things, I found a pair of 'cordilleran' flycatchers in
the canyon, a pair of nesting White-throated Swifts at eye level and a pile
of Lewis's Woodpeckers. In some years there are Bobolinks near Durkee.

--
Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

I blog at:  oregonreview.blogspot.com

From:  Tom Winters <ducksouptom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Sat, 23 Mar 2013 11:43:02 -0700
To:  OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [obol] Bridgeport BBS opening

Bridgeport BBS
I have done this route for over 25 years and am looking for someone to take
it over.  This is a beautiful and remote route, starting a few miles east of
Hereford, and traveling downstream along the Burnt River.  The first half of
the route goes along the edge of an open valley with verdant pastures in the
valley bottom on your right and sagebrush slopes on your left.  You are
traveling on Oregon 245 for the first seven miles and then a county road
thereafter.  The open valley provides pheasants, sparrows, blackbirds
(including Bobolinks), swallows, warblers, woodpeckers, and some raptors.
At Bridgeport (so called for the bridge over the Burnt River on the historic
road between Baker and Malheur City, a gold-mining ghost town), you leave
the pavement for a good gravel road and soon enter a narrow rocky canyon.
Small rapids in a couple of locations pose a problem for hearing bird songs.
Treats in the canyon include White-throated Swifts, some forest birds,
Lazuli Buntings, and occasional Lewis? Woodpeckers along the ridge-top.
One of the stops is at the mouth of a draw with the swift?s breeding cliff.
There are several active mining claims along this area.  The route ends a
few miles above the community of Durkee which is about 20 miles south of
Baker City near I-84.  Camping and a couple of small cabins are available at
Unity State Park.  There are also a few motel rooms in Unity.  Please
contact me for further information or if you are interested in assuming this
route.  Tom Winters.