[obol] Bridgeport BBS opening

  • From: "Tom Winters" <ducksouptom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 11:43:02 -0700

Bridgeport BBS

I have done this route for over 25 years and am looking for someone to take it
over.  This is a beautiful and remote route, starting a few miles east of
Hereford, and traveling downstream along the Burnt River.  The first half of
the route goes along the edge of an open valley with verdant pastures in the
valley bottom on your right and sagebrush slopes on your left.  You are
traveling on Oregon 245 for the first seven miles and then a county road
thereafter.  The open valley provides pheasants, sparrows, blackbirds
(including Bobolinks), swallows, warblers, woodpeckers, and some raptors.  At
Bridgeport (so called for the bridge over the Burnt River on the historic road
between Baker and Malheur City, a gold-mining ghost town), you leave the
pavement for a good gravel road and soon enter a narrow rocky canyon.  Small
rapids in a couple of locations pose a problem for hearing bird songs.  Treats
in the canyon include White-throated Swifts, some forest birds, Lazuli
Buntings, and occasional Lewis' Woodpeckers along the ridge-top.   One of the
stops is at the mouth of a draw with the swift's breeding cliff.  There are
several active mining claims along this area.  The route ends a few miles above
the community of Durkee which is about 20 miles south of Baker City near I-84.
Camping and a couple of small cabins are available at Unity State Park.  There
are also a few motel rooms in Unity.  Please contact me for further information
or if you are interested in assuming this route.  Tom Winters.