[obol] Breeding LE Owls- Coos County

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 12:45:44 -0700

Been an interesting year for LONG-EARED OWLS on the south coast.  In late
June some Spotted Owl surveyors working out of the Coos Bay BLM office saw
a LONG-EARED OWL multiple mornings in NE Curry County, about 2 miles from
Coos County.  I got a glimpse of the bird too, before it disappeared.  It
was in a dense young Doug-fir plantation but was hunting along the road.
Nearby was some open meadow area. Timing suggest it was likely a breeder.

Well I found out today that in the north central portion of Coos County on
25 June a different Spotted Owl surveyor saw two adult LONG-EARED OWLS with
two begging fledglings in a snag next to the road.  She tried to feed them
a mouse and a fledgling flew in but didn't take it.  She left when one of
the parents did a rather omninous defensive display. This is in a heavily
forested area (old growth) with nearby plantations and clearcuts south of
there on private.

Wish I had known earlier- there are only a couple of winter reports from
Coos- one of which was killed by a truck and collected by one Russ Namitz
(dead birds don't count Russ).

I checked BOGR and there are no breeding records from the west side of the
Coast Range in Oregon, until this year.

Cool! Actually hot- 81F at the house now, another hot one on the coast,
time to go look for something, well, Tropical : )

Have fun,
Tim R
Coos Bay