[obol] Big Sit Results - Seaside Cove

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'OBOL' <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swalalahos <swalalahos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 18:31:17 -0700

We caught a BIG break on the weather today for our annual Big Sit at
Seaside Cove. The ocean was very angry, however, with big wave surges
and difficult ocean watching conditions.  Surges were even worse
yesterday and we were regaled with heroic tales of tourist rescues
by the resident surfer dudes (Steve's friends).  There were apparently
quite a few out-of-town folk doing less than intelligent things
in spite of all the warnings on the news, with near miss on a 4-year-old
boy and a wipeout of folks in lawn chairs on the beach.

The most surprising bird of the day was a single FRANKLIN'S GULL
which spent about 10 minutes on the beach.  The final total was
a less than spectacular 53 species plus unidentified finch sp.

No tubenoses, only two murres and no other alcids, no geese and no
freshwater ducks (except 2 Wood Ducks)...

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR