[obol] Benton birds this morning

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Midvalley Birding <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 11:21:26 -0700

Tyler Hallman, Oscar and I checked out Finley NWR and the Philomath Sewage
Ponds this morning to see what the weather had brought in..

Highlights included:

McFarland Rd:  6 Semipalmated Plovers

McFadden Marsh: several Greater Yellowlegs, ca. 35 Greater White-fronted
Geese, 2 very cooperative American Bitterns, 2 Gadwall,

Bruce Rd.: we were unable to relocate yesterday's Ross's Goose; had one
Yellow-headed Blackbird at the scrape pond, and one Solitary Sandpiper in a
little puddle near the Pigeon Butte trailhead on the west side of the refuge

Finley Conservation Wetland: 1 Long-billed Dowitcher, several flocks of
Least Sandpipers, 1 Western Sandpiper, a few Dunlin, a few Greater
Yellowlegs, 1 Merlin,

Philomath Sewage Ponds: 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Least
Sandpipers, 32 Red-necked Phalaropes, 1 Western Grebe, 1 Eared Grebe, 5
Common Mergansers, 1 Western Kingbird (on fence along east side)

Not too bad for a rainy morning!

Happy Spring Migration

Hendrik

--
Hendrik G. Herlyn

*"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."     -- Gary Snyder*