[obol] Benton County birds - Black-necked Stilt, Bonaparte's Gull, W. Kingbird, Purple Martin, etc.

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Midvalley Birding <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 17:02:51 -0700

Hello Birders,

Oscar and I spent the afternoon birding around S Benton County with
Christopher and Adrian Hinkle. We checked out Finley NWR, the Evergreen
Wetland (on Bellfountain Rd.) and the Philomath Sewage Ponds. After a very
rainy morning, the afternoon turned out much drier, and we found a nice
variety of birds.

Highlights included:

Greater White-fronted Goose: a couple of flocks at McFadden Marsh and at
the Evergreen Wetland
Gadwall: single pairs on McFadden Marsh and Evergreen Wetland
Cinnamon Teal: at least 4 pairs on the Bruce Rd. scrape pond, 20+ at
McFadden Marsh
American Bittern: flushed one from the Bruce Rd. scrape
BLACK-NECKED STILT: 2 at the Evergreen Wetland; a few minutes later, Will
Wright saw 3 there
Greater Yellowlegs: about 120 on McFadden Marsh
Long-billed Dowitcher: 1 at McFadden Marsh
Wilson's Snipe: 2 at the Bruce Rd. scrape pond
Bonaparte's Gull: 16 at the Philomath Sewage Ponds
Western Kingbird: one at Finley NWR, flycatching near the pond at Ray
Bentley Overlook (FOY for all of us)
Purple Martin: at least 2 over McFadden Marsh in a flock of 800+ swallows
(Tree, Violet-green, Cliff, barn and a couple of N. Rough-wings)
Vesper Sparrow: one singing in a Christmas Tree plantation near the SW end
of Bruce Rd.
Chipping Sparrow: one in the same plantation
Yellow-headed Blackbird: one at Bruce Rd. scrape

Spring migration is certainly in full swing!

Happy birding

Hendrik

--
Hendrik G. Herlyn

*"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."     -- Gary Snyder*