[obol] Belated Report, Douglas County Coast 13 Nov 2013

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 16:32:11 -0800

Hi Folks,

Last week Wednesday I spent a full day in the Reedsport/Winchester Bay area
of coastal Douglas County (driving and on foot, no boating/paddling). No
real rarities, but 90-something species, a Barn Owl on a metal post in
daylight, a nice group of Short-tailed Shearwaters off the end of the south
jetty (not often seen so close), a couple Marbled Murrelets between the
jetties, a yellow-billed Common Goldeneye (they normally don't have all
yellow bills), all 6 species of Oregon's grebes including quite a few Eared
Grebes, a few shorebirds, one Black-legged Kittiwake, a Heermann's Gull, a
couple Western Meadowlarks near Salmon Harbor boat basin, and a "pair" of
White-throated Sparrows at a good feeder location in Reedsport. I submitted
15 eBird lists for the day, so rather than giving links to each, following
is a compilation of all of them. Photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/sets/72157637821268285/

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR

Cackling Goose   2

Canada Goose   175

Gadwall   30

American Wigeon   120

Mallard   60

Northern Shoveler   20

Northern Pintail   150

Green-winged Teal   40

Ring-necked Duck   10

Lesser Scaup   5

Greater/Lesser Scaup   5

Surf Scoter   100

Bufflehead   180

Common Goldeneye   1

Hooded Merganser   4

Common Merganser   1

Red-breasted Merganser   4

Red-throated Loon   2

Pacific Loon   4

Common Loon   11

Pied-billed Grebe   4

Horned Grebe   20

Red-necked Grebe   10

Eared Grebe   20

Western Grebe   60

Clark's Grebe   1

Short-tailed Shearwater   50

Brandt's Cormorant   1

Double-crested Cormorant   20

Pelagic Cormorant   30

Great Blue Heron   4

Great Egret   3

Sharp-shinned Hawk   1

Bald Eagle   1

Red-shouldered Hawk   1

Virginia Rail   1

American Coot   400

Killdeer   2

Greater Yellowlegs   3

Short-billed/Long-billed Dowitcher   9

Wilson's Snipe   5

Common Murre   4

Marbled Murrelet   2

Black-legged Kittiwake   1

Heermann's Gull   1

Mew Gull   80

Western Gull   60

California Gull   30

Herring Gull   1

Thayer's Gull   1

Glaucous-winged Gull   5

Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid)   2

gull sp.   2

Rock Pigeon (feral)   25

Eurasian Collared-Dove   9

Barn Owl   1