[obol] 11/18/13 - Union County : male RUSTY BLACKBIRD

  • From: AVITOURS@xxxxxxx
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 19:35:21 -0500 (EST)

Birders -
I delivered bird seed to Cove today  (11/18, 2:00 p.m.).  On my way back
home to La Grande, via Phys and Gekeler  Roads, I bumped into a large flock of
EUROPEAN STARLINGS (1000+).  At first  they were holding in one spot, near
the road, and I was able to get the scope on  them and sift through the
flock.  The first bird I noticed which was not  like the others, was a male
BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD.  Then there was a imm.  male/female RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD.

A then the flock jumped up, with some  birds landing on the power wires,
some landing on the barbed wire fence lines  and a smaller amount flying
towards the south into a wheat stubble field.   As I scanned the birds on the
fence lines, I instantly noticed a bird which I  thought momentarily was a
glossy male Brewer's Blackbird.  As my view  improved, I realized it was a male
RUSTY BLACKBIRD.  Overall appearance was  Brewer's-like, except it had rusty
edged back feathers and teritals. It did not  show an eye stripe or barred
undertail coverts.   Then all of the  birds flew south with some individuals
landing in the wheat stubble and most  landing in a Hawthorn patch. I was
actually able to keep the Rusty in scope view  for about 5 seconds as it
flew.  Even though my views were brief, I am  quite satisfied with my
identification.  I again scanned through the birds  I could see and relocated
the
Brown-headed Cowbird and the imm. male/female  Red-winged Blackbird.  I could
not relocate the Rusty, even after scanning  the flock at various locations,
for over an hour.  I called Cathy Nowak and  she said she was going to swing
by after work. Then the majority of the flock  flew towards the south, so I
drove out Phys Road to HWY 237 towards Union.   I relocated a flock, but
they were at an extremely long range and I could only  discern Starlings, but
then I was able to relocate the Cowbird.   Unfortunately, no photos.
Everything happened too fast.  This is the  general area where I found a male
Rusty
Blackbird in January 2011.  I hope  we can relocate this rare and cool bird.
The RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER and BLUE  JAY are still holding.
Good birding,
- Trent
The Bobolink -  Linking Birders & Birds
1707 5th Street