[obol] Battle Ground Night Flight and diurnal yard birds

  • From: Jim Danzenbaker <jdanzenbaker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tweeters tweeters <tweeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 17:17:10 -0700

Hi Tweeters and OBOL,

Just a quick note about nocturnal migration over my Battle Ground, Clark
County, Washington yard this morning.  Swainson's Thrushes were moving all
night but in fairly low numbers (although many may have been flying too
high to hear).  At around 5:45, I got counts of about 75 calls per minute
(translates into about 25 birds per minute) for about 20 minutes.  These
thrushes are fairly loud and obvious the first ten-fifiteen minutes after
they land.  After that, they become practically invisible.

The only significant passerine of the morning was an adult Red-eyed Vireo
which was accompanied by nothing else.  I have two young of the year
Black-headed Grosbeaks which have decided that sitting on the sunflower
seed feeder for an hour at a time is a perfect way to spend a late summer
day.

Keep your eyes and ears skyward!

Jim
--