[obol] Baskett-Ankeny birds

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 17:08:30 -0700

I spent half a day today birding Baskett Slough and Ankeny with a whole
swarm of folks.  A brace of Hinkles, Tristen Hynes, Hendrik Herlyn and Oscar
Harper, some OSU BirdNerds, Brandon Wagner at Baskett and we even ran into
Mitch Ratzlaff out Jogging For Ducks.  And I probably forgot a few.

Oh yeah, saw some birds.  On the way north I saw five Osprey circling the
so-called "Junction City" fishing pond along Hwy 99 near the Eugene airport.
On the way south the muddy swale south of Monroe had about half a dozen
Greater Yellowlegs and a nearby adult Bald Eagle.  Yellowlegs were present
at a number of sites today, seeming to prefer muddy pasture holes to the
deeper waters at the refuges.

Black-bellied plovers were present at Baskett (at least 5 at Coville
narrows, way off to the south) and Ankeny (about a dozen at the pullout not
far south of Eagle Marsh).  That pullout had the largest flock of geese,
including a single White-front and Snow.

Small numbers of Dunlin and LB dowitchers were at several sites at both
refuges.

Duck action was mostly GW teal and ruddy (piles of Ruddy at Eagle Marsh),
with distinctly smaller numbers of other species. A single female G Scaup
was at Eagle Marsh (Ankeny).

A highlight was a pair of Blue-winged Teal at Pintail Marsh (Ankeny).  Small
numbers of Cinnamons were at the larger marshes.

I saw my first Barn and Cliff Swallows of the year, ah, spring !

--
Alan Contreras

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Eugene, Oregon