[obol] Are birding e-mail lists obsolete? (long post, ick!)

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 21:04:04 -0700

Joel raises an interesting question that The Curmudgeon has a couple of
thoughts about.

I use both Ebird and OBOL fairly often, but I don't use them the same way for
the same purposes. I generally use e-bird when I spend a chunk of time in some
specific, definable place and pay careful attention to whatever I find.  I
often report those lists to e-bird, because they represent a reasonably
thorough effort on my part to do a sort of "mini-count" for a site.

But that isn't the way I bird all the time.  Some of my birding is pretty
casual and patchy.  That's just the way I am.  For me, birding is a hobby, not
a job, and I approach it differently depending on the mood I'm in.  I know it's
a sin, bit I don't always try to find or list all the birds where I happen to
be.  And I never will. So I tend to post a lot of my more casual birding (and
of course any rarities) to OBOL.

It seems to me that if I find a bird I KNOW to be rare, I have an obligation to
get the word onto at least one of the birding lists.  Relying on Ebird for that
seems a bit lazy.  Surely we have some baseline obligations of courtesy to
other birders interested in seeing rarities.

Obviously the situation is different for a beginner or someone in new territory
who simply doesn't realize that a bird is rare enough to report.  It seems to
me unreasonable to whack someone in that situation for not reporting.

Ultimately no birder can make another birder behave in a particular way.  One
of the concerns I have about some trends I see in the birding world is that we
seem to hear more often that there is a right way and wrong way to bird.  If I
hear from one more person that I "should" report to Ebird because it is the
right thing to do, I'll probably cease doing so at all - I have been birding
for 47 years and anyone who wants to be my nanny can go play in the traffic.

There are many ways to fit one's personal birding interests into the very large
tent that constitutes the birding world. I hope that both Ebird and OBOL and
other local lists can remain lively and useful.

Heck, I just wrote a long post, didn't I, a week after trashing others for
doing so.  Well, Walt Whitman excused his contradictions with the phrase "I am
large, I contain multitudes."  I am definitely large, so I'll let that be my
excuse.
.
.
Alan Contreras