[obol] American Goldfinch, Columbia County

  • From: Hannah Fritz <hannah.fritz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 08:41:40 -0700

Woke up this morning and looked out the window thinking "Is that niger sock
a little lower than yesterday, or just my imagination?" About 20 minutes
later I was surprised/vindicated to see 1 female AMERICAN GOLDFINCH eating
from it. It's a pleasure to see and hear them the first time of the year
(until I remember how expensive niger is...) The bill looks fairly
orange/pinkish, which is why I've gone with American, rather than Lesser.
Also have never had Lessers at my home before. Pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/eggwhite/birds/am_gf_zps30c4050f.png

Another FOY yard bird this morning were 2 ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER. Monday I
had 3 WILSON'S SNIPE (
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/eggwhite/birds/wilsonssnipe1_zps1559dd7f.png)
in the old Boise lot from my deck, which was for sure a first time yard
bird. Also on Monday, while birding in Scappoose Bottoms, a NORTHERN
GOSHAWK was soaring overhead (
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/eggwhite/birds/goshawk2_zps9116e349.png
).

Hannah Fritz