[obol] Re: 4 Possible Black-backed Wagtails in South Beach (Lincoln Co.)

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 07:45:45 -0800

I think I will declare myself an agnostic on what these birds were.
The data available is too thin and I hope somebody makes an effort
to investigate (within the limits of respect for property rights).

First, I lived with AFRICAN PIED WAGTAILS.  I have been remiss in
keeping up with pendulum swings of wagtail taxonomy, but I believe
they are still considered a separate species, but allied with the
white-wagtail complex.  And they sit wherever they want and they're
noisy.  It is not unusual for them to feed together in a manner similar
to pipits in AFRICA.

Here's my grumble.  If you have a cell phone, you have a camera.
Let's make Thanksgiving weekend birds phones (and videos) on cell phone
weekend.  While you're out walking off that extra piece of pumpkin
pie (or trying to escape that annoying family member that has all those
wrong opinions), take out the cell phone and practice getting the
best bird photo you can.  We'll have a contest.

Even a marginal photo from a cell phone would help solve the current
conundrum.

What is the status of Western Scrub Jay in the Newport/South Beach Area,
anyway?

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR