[obol] 30-plus Meadowlarks at Tualatin NWR

  • From: <skipr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 23:41:16 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Oboloids,

It's been a long time since I last posted to OBOL (years), but I wanted to
report that I stopped briefly at Tualatin NWR yesterday afternoon and happened
on a large flock of over 30 WESTERN MEADOWLARKS. Meadowlarks are typically in
flocks this time of year, but this is undoubted the largest wintering flock I
have ever encountered in Washington County, and possibly anywhere in Oregon for
that matter.  The location was the north end of the stubble field adjacent to
the parking area at the west access road, which is off Roy Rogers Road (approx
45.385045, -122.850681).  Please note that access onto the refuge from this
location is restricted, but birding from the parking lot is fine.

Years ago, meadowlarks weren't all that hard to find in the county, but they
have since become much harder to find.  I thought a flock of this size was
notable.

Good birding,

Skip

--