[oagitm] Re: PCI Compliance

  • From: Michael Soots <msoots@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Brad.WELCH@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Brad.WELCH@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:10:24 +0000

Tillamook County has gone through the steps to obtain PCI compliance. We have
several departments that accept credit cards, and their operations would be
severely curtailed if we did not accept the responsibility of PCI compliance.
However, we do not retain credit card data on our system, but simply pass-thru
the CC data to the processer.

We already have CJIS and HiPPA standards to meet, and network/Computer security
is a big topic here, so meeting the requirement for PCI/DSS gives us another
level of "certification" to show we are serious about data security. The PCI
requirements complement our other security efforts by requiring periodic scans,
reviews, computer user training, and policies which are not covered by other
standards.

Yes, the PCI requirements apply even with hosted solutions, but in that case
the certification is more or less only to certify that someone else has the
data. The PCI requirements apply with an analog swipe machine also. We found
ourselves being charged a "PCI Compliance fee" for each swipe machine.

The control measures and security requirements are not so onerous as to be
frightening, but should be looked at as "best Practices", with a bit of
reporting.

Michael Soots
Tillamook County
I.S. Director