[oagitm] Re: Leased Copiers as Multi Function Machines

  • From: "Palacios Dan A" <dan.a.palacios@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Jean.Ripa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Jean.Ripa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OAGITM <oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:13:47 -0800

Here at DCBS. We have deployed a number of multi-function devices from several
different vendors.  Our experience has been a mixed bag depending on the area
of concern.

Printing - most of these systems work quite well as network printers.  Because
of our extensive use of Citrix, we have to test print driver functionality
before we OK it for use though.

Faxing - we have only used one or two for faxing purposes.  Outbound faxing
from the device is not an issue.  Inbound faxing seems to be fine as long as
there are no confidentiality issues.  In one case, we allowed incoming faxes to
be sent to an e-mail account based on the functionality built into the device.

Scanning - this is where we had most of our issues.  Multi-function devices
usually use their own proprietary scanning software and non-standard protocols.
 They can scan if software is installed on a PC and will often lock the device
from use until the scanning process is completed.  This process can involve
multiple steps involving both the PC and the device.  We also ran into security
concerns.  We decided that purchasing and using small, network capable scanners
were a better fit for our agency.

Security - all of the vendors should provide an option for wiping or destroying
the hard drives in leased multifunction devices.  This may incur a cost and
will probably rely on your staff asking for the drive to be cleaned when the
device is removed (for service or at the end of the lease).

Dan Palacios
Dept. of Consumer and Business Services
IMD Network Group
503-947-7060