[oagitm] FW: N-DEx/O-NIBRS

  • From: BLACK Tony H <Tony.Black@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:18:41 -0700

I have an exciting update on our project to create the expanded single
submission solution for the FBI National Data Exchange (N-DEx) and the Oregon
National Incident Based Reporting System (O-NIBRS).  I realize it has been a
little while since my last communication on this project, but the procurement
process took a bit longer than we had anticipated.  The contract has been
signed with Online Business Systems to develop the system here at LEDS to
incorporate this expanded information sharing tool into the Oregon NIBRS
system.  The system will be in production Mid Summer this year.

What this will do is allow your agency to report information to the O-NIBRS
repository, as well as enhance your ability to share incident based data with
your colleagues on a statewide and national basis.

I'm providing the "Concept of Operations" document as a attachment to this
e-mail as a refresher.

I would encourage you to review the N-DEx system that the FBI has developed and
note the wealth of data and investigative tools that are available through this
free federal system (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/n-dex/n-dex).
Participation in N-DEx is not considered a "pay to play" type system and access
is authorized to all law enforcement agencies regardless of if you submit data
to the system.  To sign up for N-DEx access follow the procedures found on the
LEDS website (http://egov.oregon.gov/OSP/CJIS/docs/NDEX_APPL_PROCEDURE.pdf).

At this point it would be extremely beneficial to initiate conversations with
your RMS provider about this project and have them contact us for further
information on the technical specification and concept of operations.

Please feel free to contact either Jeff Bock, or myself if you have any
questions about this project, or if we can be of service to assist you with
LEDS or O-NIBRS/OUCR.

We're looking forward to placing this project into production and enhancing
Oregon's information sharing.

Best regards,

Terry

Terry O'Connell, MPA, OPMA
Director, Law Enforcement Data System (LEDS)
Oregon State Police
503 378 3055 x 55020
41 Years of "Service First"