Re: [nvda-translations] current navigatior object

  • From: Peter Vágner <peter.v@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 11:24:28 +0200

Hello,
If you are using object navigation to navigate tree of objects you can go next and previous, or you can go up to the container object or you can go down to the contained object. For example if you are on the desktop and you arrow to the documents folder using the arrow keys, by default object navigator will point to the exact same location. Now you can use NVDA+numpad4 and NVDA+numpad6 to go to the previous and next icon using object navigation and system focus won't change in this case. You can also use NVDA+numpad8 in this scenario to go to the container object, in this particular example it's a list containing all the desktop icons..

Another example. If you are browsing a window or a dialog using object navigation you may find list, toolbar, treeview and possibly some other objects where you can go to the objects they contain. In other words you can dive into such objects using NVDA+numpad2.

Hopefully this makes some sense
Basically this is what the user guide tells just maybe in a bit different words.

Hopefully you can understand how it works. You can try it in the various places to better understand how it all works.

Greetings

Peter

On 31.5.2012 11:01, access@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Yes, I am trying to understand the functionality in depth.
Do you mean that there is something like "next navigator object"?

Quoting Peter Vágner <peter.v@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hello,
Yes you are right although it may also depend on a context. For example you may like to say next, previous, containing object etc. If you can try to understand the feature which you already do I guess and then translate it so it will sound as good as it can in your language. People who can better speak english will most likelly correct us where we are wrong.

Greetings

Peter

On 31.5.2012 10:48, access@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Yes, I agree that the name of the feature is "object navigation" and that the object that is being pointed is the "navigator object" which can be a button, an edit field etc. So, "current" is mainly used to show that the "navigator object" is not a static object but something that changes.

However, to be consistent, "current" should be used in front of every occurrence of "navigator object" in the user guide and nvda.po, shouldn't it?

Quoting Peter Vágner <peter.v@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hello,
This is a bit tricky. Of course there is just one facility doing the object navigation. However we tend to say current navigator object referring to the object where object navigation is currently pointing to. So in practice curent navigator object is really an object such as button, edit field etc... not a feature.

Greetings

Peter

On 30.5.2012 23:45, access@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Is there any reason to say "current navigator object" instead of "navigator object", since there is only one navigator object in any time?