Re: [nvda-translations] [NVDA-dev] Korean translation so far was:main 5473

  • From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'NVDA screen reader development'" <nvda-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 04:11:03 -0700

Hi folks, mostly Asian translators,
I'm also sending this to translation mailing list to gather wider feedback:
Here are works done so far with NvDA Korean translation:
* I'm using source code version, as eSpeak 1.46.02 does not include Korean
voice - the latest dev version (1.46.26) does include Korean voice. However,
since the original data was produced by a Chinese person, I modified the
data to fit Korean pronunciation rules. Also, since Peter V told devs that
eSpeak has added something new in source code, I applied the patch from him
to allow string pointers to work. Still, Korean users felt that it wasn't
adequate, so we decided to go with Ms Speech Platform and some SAPI Korean
voice along with Vocalizer as an alternative option (to be added as an NvDA
add-on in case of Vocalizer), as we fear that NvDA would get negative
reviews due to eSpeak's pronunciation oddities. By the way, the individual
who provided Korean data also said that he had Japanese eSpeak data as well.

As for translation work so far: as of Beta 4 of Korean release, we have:
* Interface and user guides were translated (Beta 1 and Beta 2).
* Hanja (Chinese character) input/output functionality has been added (Beta
4) based on a database of 7700+ Hanja characters found by one of the Korean
translators.
* Understandable Korean voice has been added to eSpeak (beta 3 with various
refreshes to gather user feedback). For now, it was decided to halt this
process since it might be difficult (for now) to optimize eSpeak's
pronunciation rules to Korean. We'll resume work when experts come in.
* Korean braille is being developed (to be included in beta 5). We plan to
test it using Braille Sense family.

As for Hanja functionality: we're using both synbols.dic and
characterDescriptions.dic for this purpose: symbols.dic contains
pronunciation for individual Hanja characters, and characterDescriptions.dic
contains Korean meanings for each Hanja character. One of the challenges has
been to find a way to provide single pronunciation for multiple Hanja
characters; in the end, it was decided to write all 7700+ chars in
symbols.dic file with pronunciation for each one (since Vocalizer and eSpeak
does not ship with Hanja rules). During this process, we took a look at both
Chinese and Japanese symbols and char descriptions file to understand how
these language teams did it.

Thanks. Hope this gives you a picture of what's going on.
//JL