Re: [nvda-translations] Input Methods strings: some helpful websites

  • From: Michael Curran <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 09:36:55 +1000

Hi,

If your language does not require the use of an input method in daily usage then these strings are not important. However, it is worth thinking about those people who wish to occasionally communicate in, or learn, a different language. E.g. I may sometimes type in Chinese even though my NVDA language is always English.

Yesterday I added any missing translator comments -- there shouldn't be any missing now.

Mick

On 9/4/2012 9:04 AM, Mesar Hameed wrote:
Hi,
Maybe i am mistaken, but if I don't use a cjk language, will i ever see these
messages?
I think it is safe for translators to leave the messages as they are if their
language doesnt use any alternative input method.

Jamie/Mick, any clarrifications?
And if the messages dont have translator comments could we please add them?

Thanks,
Mesar
On Mon 03/09/12,14:09, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi fellow translators:
Here are some websites that could help you with working with strings from
Input Methods branch, namely names of Japanese input modes, terms on IME and
so forth:
General overview on IME and East Asian characters:
Quite technical:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb688135.aspx
Overview on CJK characters from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CJK

Chinese input:
Overview from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_input_methods_for_computers
Quick tutorial on Chinese input from University of Redlands:
http://bulldog2.redlands.edu/dept/AsianStudiesDept/Language/chinese_write.ht

Japanese input:
General overview from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_language_and_computers
Wikipedia entry on Japanese input methods:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_input_methods
Tutorial on Japanese input:
http://www.autopenhosting.org/unicode/type-Japanese.html
Various input methods explained:
http://www.sljfaq.org/afaq/input-methods.html

Korean input:
Overview from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_language_and_computers
Tutorial on entering Korean text:
http://www.koreanfluent.com/cross_cultural/korean_keyboard/korean_keyboard.h
tm

If you have any comments or questions on any of these input methods, feel
free to ask cJK translators.
If you'd like, I'd be happy to post these on the users support mailing list.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph

--