[nvda-addons] Re: speech engines are like fonts for sighted folks

  • From: Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-addons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 19:39:37 -0400

but espeak's consonant r is correct. I'm not sure what accent speech player has. but I can't use it at fast speeds right now. I am just forced to switch back to illegal eloquence for the time being. sorry guys can't help it. speech player isn't quite there. its close so very very very close! not quite there yet though.

On 9/27/2014 7:21 PM, Bhavya shah wrote:
The consonant 'r' is is somewhat wrong as well.
Also, is Speech Player supposed to speak American English or British
English or another dialect of English?
It would be nice if the devs could try improving Speech Player a bit.

On 9/28/14, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

I did some thinking and came up with the following conclusions. Our tts
engines what we like and don't like about them can be compared to fonts
for reading and writing or typing for the sighted. Professionals like
college professors like certain fonts and indeed require them for
written papers. While others like and may require other fonts when
writing newspapers and such things. So our tts engines are like fonts.
Just as someone may require or want you to write your paper with the
courier new font, someone else may want it in times new roman font. And
just like some like eloquence, others like espeak. I did an experiment
with natural voices such as vocalizer and such. they don't perform well
at high speeds such as if you try using it at rate 100 stuff gets cut
off. ESpeak and eloquence are the clearest at rates like 60 for
eloquence and espeak's rate of 30 with rate boost. NV speech player
would be clearer if consonant phonemes such as t, sh, and ch were more
pronounced I think especially ch. but speech player is the closest to
eloquence I've ever seen in an open source speech engine. and if it
merged into espeak it could have the sound of eloquence with espeak's
high fast fast speaking rate and clear pronunciation! so please get nv
speech player out as soon as you can please!

Josh