[nvda-addons] Re: speech engines are like fonts for sighted folks

  • From: Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-addons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 07:34:01 -0400

again, see open mary. making concatinative synthesizers is very very time consuming difficult and involves multiple people and engineers. and how many folks have good sound proof sound and recording studios in their houses for recording such concatinative voices?

On 9/28/2014 2:44 AM, Devin wrote:
And, if nv speech player gains all the languages of eSpeak, and the
concatenation I spoke of in another message comes true, I'm sure all the
dialects and sublanguages of Hindi will be made too.

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 28, 2014, at 12:23 AM, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
Yes, but here in India, everyone uses JAWS (crack) and no one uses
NVDA. This is purely because most people don't know that different
speech synthesizers can be installed in NVDA and there are various
variants of ESpeak, which makes ESpeak extremely pleasant.
This is why JAWS is much more widely used and NVDA is not, at least
with respect to India.
Only if the default synth/voice/variant is natural and pleasant will
more and more people begin using NVDA.
These are my thoughts/opinions.

On 9/28/14, Him Prasad Gautam <drishtibachak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi,
Better to understand it as fashion. In winter you wear warm clothes
but there are many varieties.
Personally speaking, I do not see any fruitfulness on focusing too
much on tts only.
It is just understand the text what has appeared at the screen i.e an
alternate of vision.
What it must serve is:
1. no unpleasant to ear.
2. Clear pronunciation sufficient to understand the exact
character/word/phrase.
3 Adjustability in rate/tonal quality.
That is all. No need to talk too much only about this.
We use tts not listen anything but just know the text at the screen as
an alternate of eye.

On 9/28/14, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
yes I tried them. so far m7 is the best but speech player is much
better. better than all espeak variants I think.

On 9/27/2014 7:58 PM, Bhavya shah wrote:
Hi,
An alternative to the illegal Eloquence and NV Speech Player, you can
test different variants of ESpeak.
Have you tried the Steph variant, Steph_test 1 variant and Steph 3
variant? All three are extremely pleasant variants of ESpeak. A
variant simply changes the voice of ESpeak, retaining the excellent
pronunciations and multi linguality of ESpeak.
If you don't have the three variants I said, then I would be willing
to post them here.
I too can't understand Speech Player at fast speeds.

On 9/28/14, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
but espeak's consonant r is correct. I'm not sure what accent speech
player has. but I can't use it at fast speeds right now. I am just
forced to switch back to illegal eloquence for the time being. sorry
guys can't help it. speech player isn't quite there. its close so very
very very close! not quite there yet though.

On 9/27/2014 7:21 PM, Bhavya shah wrote:
The consonant 'r' is is somewhat wrong as well.
Also, is Speech Player supposed to speak American English or British
English or another dialect of English?
It would be nice if the devs could try improving Speech Player a bit.

On 9/28/14, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

I did some thinking and came up with the following conclusions. Our
tts
engines what we like and don't like about them can be compared to
fonts
for reading and writing or typing for the sighted. Professionals like
college professors like certain fonts and indeed require them for
written papers. While others like and may require other fonts when
writing newspapers and such things. So our tts engines are like
fonts.
Just as someone may require or want you to write your paper with the
courier new font, someone else may want it in times new roman font.
And
just like some like eloquence, others like espeak. I did an
experiment
with natural voices such as vocalizer and such. they don't perform
well
at high speeds such as if you try using it at rate 100 stuff gets cut
off. ESpeak and eloquence are the clearest at rates like 60 for
eloquence and espeak's rate of 30 with rate boost. NV speech player
would be clearer if consonant phonemes such as t, sh, and ch were
more
pronounced I think especially ch. but speech player is the closest to
eloquence I've ever seen in an open source speech engine. and if it
merged into espeak it could have the sound of eloquence with espeak's
high fast fast speaking rate and clear pronunciation! so please get
nv
speech player out as soon as you can please!

Josh

Him Prasad Gautam
Kathmandu, Nepal

Best Regards