[nvda-addons] Re: SPL add-on 4.0: release date proposal

  • From: Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-addons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 00:48:02 +0000

Hi Joseph,

On Sun 11/01/15,15:08, Joseph Lee wrote:
> When I visit the repo site on Bitbucket, I see that it has 9 branches.

my bad, i forgot to run:

    git fetch --all --prune

> I'll
> remove some of the unnecessary branches that hasn't seen a useful work for a
> while.

Thats great, many thanks.

> The current workflow is as follows:
> 1. Work is done on topic branches.
> 2. Merge commits from topic branches to master.
> 3. For 4.0 only, the topic branches were merged into compatibility release
> first before merged into master (there were code changes between branches).
> I think this was the issue we see today, and I will remove legacy
> (compatibility) branch from the repo as it is no longer needed.

great.

> 4. I usually leave the topic branch alone until master is merged into stable
> (but I can see why it could be a problem). I think part of the reason for
> this problem might be that I tend to decommission topic branches later just
> in case topic branches need further work.

I guess part of the confusion is the naming difference in usage between addons
and NVDA,

nvda master= addon stable
nvda next = addon master

It might be worth switching our recommendation to be exactly the same as NVDA.

> 5. Whenever a major version is out, I create maintenance branches for that
> major version e.g. 3.x, designed to commit bug fixes in an isolated
> environment before merging it into master.

Thats one extra branch that is not needed, at this point you can just
branch from stable, do the hot fix and get it reviewed/merged.
Once its merged into stabl, its of course also merged into master. so
removes duplicated review for this hotfix.

> The maintenance branches are
> deleted once a newer major version is out.

You don't need a long living branch, you can just bring a branch back
into life from the release tag.

> I'll do some more reading on cleaning up Git history.

It can be a bit fiddely but rewarding when one gets it right. Catch me
on irc if you want to talk it over.

> Sorry for the inconvenience.

Not at all, we are all here to help each other, and you are certainly
doing your bit.

thanks,
Mesar