[ntnm] Publications delivery and quality feedback

  • From: Isaac Porat <isaac@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ntnm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 07:35:30 +0100

Hello

The following summarise my experience with the new RNIB NTNM service.

1. I find that the website works well. The nature of a web based delivery is that the user needs to go through a number of stages, four in the current system to get where he wants which takes a bit of time but for me it is not a big deal.

2. I find the lack of date stamp in the newspaper file name a nuisance which needs fixing sooner rather than later.

3. While the old TNAUK propriety '.doc' format did the job (including page numbers for those who wanted this information) the emphasis on international standards such as HTML and epub is welcome.

4. The magazines produced with manual extraction / intervention such as The New Scientist and BBC Focus are well structured and consequently a pleasure to navigate and read.

4. I find the output of the publications produced by the automatic NLA extraction system disappointing. These include all the daily, regional and some of the magazines such the Economist. The section found such as News and Features, repeating themselves makes to me little sense; the organization of these publications is unfortunately only marginally better than having the articles distributed randomly. To my mind producing these publications based on sections which are easy to navigate and read should be a top priority.

6. One of my main interest was the Financial Times newspaper. While it is missing from the NLA feed, the feed from the publisher is very good and with such important newspaper it is worth the 3,4 days of competent programmers time required to incorporate it into your system.

Thanks
Isaac