[northwest_al] Re: Civil War

  • From: "Mike Sullivan" <sulliv812@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "northwest_al" <northwest_al@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 21:55:50 -0500

Great find Betty,
  Civil War units were formed into companies of around 100 men each. After
organizing about 10 companies into a regiment, the troops were then shipped off
to whatever Army they were needed in. North and South had more than one Army.
This was because the laws allowed the troops to elect their officers. Most of
these officers were leaders in their community but few had military experience.
By not accepting troop units larger than that of a regiment, the Confederate
Government could then assign commanding officers over them. What was probably a
good thing.
  There was a company known as the Sipsey Guards what was made up of men mostly
from Tuscaloosa Co. Making it to boot camp just south of Memphis before there
were enough to assemble into a regiment. This company was medically quarantined
because 66 of the 100 had come down with measles. Five died before they were
ever issued a weapon. By the time their 60 day quarantine was over, the AL
regiment they were supposed to be in had shipped out, so this AL unit was
assigned to the 38th Regiment Infantry of TN. There was a GA company in this TN
unit as well.
 Source: Tuscaloosa's Own by Beasley Henricks
Bye, Mike
PS: I would like to know more about your ancestor's move from SC to VA. My
brick wall in NC might be because my ancestors had recently moved from SC to
NC. If this turns out to be true, they may have traveled the same route as your
ancestors. Only stopping in NC.    sulliv812@xxxxxxx