[nnasnet] March & April birds

  • From: "joandboys" <joandboys@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nnasnet" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:57:59 GMT

Hi,
     Highlights of spring hikes at Wilna and Hutchinson units of the RRVWR were
warblers, especially northern parulas...I had never seen these fast-moving
birds before, but they seem to be in great abundance this year, all along the
trails esp. at Hutchinson. Also pine warblers at Crosshills Road(before the
wood-cutting began), simply gorgeous yellow-throated warblers, also a first
sighting for me, on the Freedom Trail on Roanoke Island, NC, and at Belle Isle,
myrtle warblers in their bright spring colors, a common yellowthroat, a noisy
pair of blue-gray gnatcatchers scoping out a nesting site (I think), and to my
delight, my first sighting of a wood thrush in the same section of woods along
the Magruder Loop at Hutchinson in which I stood and listened to a thrush's
beautiful song last year without seeing the bird.
     At home, there are 4 bluebird eggs in our back field box and 5 eggs in the
box at Wicomico View. We have mockingbirds, Carolina wrens, house finches,
robins and grackles nesting nearby, though I've only been able to see the
robins' nest. The painted bunting hasn't been seen since Saturday, April 14, so
I assume he's left for the season.

 Joanne C, Wicomico Church