NEWS> There Has Been a Death in the Neighborhood

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:54:04 -0600

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

Monday, February 17, 2003
<http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/entertainment/s_118817.html>

So Min did what millions of Americans do every day: When she wasn't
working as a waitress or at the institute's art gallery, she watched
television. Her tutors were "Sesame Street," "The Oprah Winfrey Show" and
especially "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood."

"(Rogers) was my favorite," Min says. "Actually, I was not learning
English.  One day, I was sitting there sobbing when Mr. Rogers said, 'You
make my day very special by sitting there and being yourself.' The biggest
gift a person can ever give is the honest self. And to me, that was
mindblowing."

Min says what Rogers taught her was beyond the English language: She was
relearning human emotions that were drummed out of her as a child. Born in
1957, she joined the Little Red Guards, elementary-school children who
chanted slogans and performed drills to glorify the Communist Party, in
order to avoid being beaten. At the time, U.S. troops were fighting in
nearby Vietnam, and the Chinese government citizens were told to prepare
for an invasion.

YOUR COMPANY OR PRODUCT BELONGS HERE
If you are interested in advertising please contact Gleason Sackmann.
He helps educators make the most efficient use of your resources
and also gains attention for your products or services
Send your Ad, Announcement, Newsletter now.
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/Subguidelines.html>

---------------------

PBS Kids - Mister Rogers' Neighborhood Home Page
http://pbskids.org/rogers/

PBS Kids - Mister Rogers' Neighborhood: Parents and Teachers
http://pbskids.org/rogers/parents/sept11.htm

Family Communications, Inc. - Homepage
http://www.misterrogers.org/

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood Archives