MISC> American Routes Carnival Time

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:55:02 -0600

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

Carnival on the Gulf Coast

It's Carnival time in New Orleans  -- out come the beads, the king cakes, and
the music! Our Carnival special includes a visit with the Rebirth Brass Band
and an in-depth look at the Wild Magnolias Mardi Gras Indian tribe, both
quintessential parts of the Big Easy's annual celebration. Plus, Mardi Gras
sounds and stories from  Trinidad, Cuba and here on the Gulf Coast: Mobile,
Alabama--their official celebration is actually older than New Orleans! All
your favorite Carnival time tunes, in versions new and old on American Routes
, your locally produced, nationally syndicated weekly public radio program
devoted to music and culture from New Orleans, the Gulf South and America
beyond.

See below for the play list.  Also visit www.americanroutes.org
-----
Hour One
"Carnival Time" Rebirth Brass Band
-----
"Treme Second Line (Blow Da Whistle)" Kermit Ruffins
"Basin Street Blues" Ella Fitzgerald
-----
"Basin Street Ain't Basin Street No More" Snookum Russell
"New Orleans" Big Boy Myles with Mac Rebennack's Orchestra
-----
"Wham Tousan" Allen Toussaint
-----
SEGMENT: Keith and Philip Frazier of Rebirth Brass Band
-----
"When the Saints Go Marching In" Papa Celestin's New Orleans Band
"Let's Give a Party" Martin, Bogan & the Armstrongs
"Et La Bas" Hackberry Ramblers
-----
SEGMENT: Cajun / Creole Mardi Gras
"La Danse De Mardi Gras" Bee Deshotels
"Mardi Gras Chant"  Cajun  Mardi Gras song recorded by Harry Oster
"Oui mon cher camarade" (Yes my dear friend) Creole Mardi Gras chant rec. by
Nick Spitzer
"Mardi Gras Blues" Beau Jocque & the Zydeco Hi-Rollers
-----
"Bayou Drive" Clifton Chenier
-----
SEGMENT: Mardi Gras in Mobile, AL
-----
"Mardi Gras Blues" Big Joe Turner
"Life Is A Carnival" The Band
-----

ActiveServers, Inc ServerFarm, Co-Location, Point to Point Wireless,
Consulting, and Windows dotnet Servers. Premium Hosting Solutions
on multiple OC-48 redundant connections.
Visit http://activeservers.com

Hour Two
"Big Chief" The Dirty Dozen Brass Band w/ Dr. John
"Mardi Gras in New Orleans" Professor Longhair
-----
"Calabash" Count Lasher with Charlie Binger
"My Indian Red" Baby Dodds Trio with Danny Barker
"Iko-Iko" Dixie Cups
-----
"Big Chief" Bo Dollis & The Wild Magnolias
-----
SEGMENT: Wild Magnolias chief, Bo Dollis
-----
"Ja-Ki-Mo-Fi-Na-Hay" Donald Harrison & Dr. John
"Patricia" Ry Cooder & Manuel Galban
"Mardi Gras Mambo" The Meters
-----
"Nervous Boogie" Paul Gayten
-----
"New Orleans Twist" Blazer Boy
"Who Drank My Beer While I Was In The Rear" Dave Bartholomew
-----
"Basin Street Blues/When It's Sleepy Time Down South" Louis Prima
"Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans?" Louis Armstrong
-----
"Walk Thru the Streets of the City" Bill Matthews and his N.O. Dixieland Band