K12> Writing in Schools Is Found Both Dismal and Neglected New Report

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:00:00 -0500

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

Date:         Mon, 28 Apr 2003 06:19:45 EDT
From:         Bonnie Bracey <BBracey@xxxxxxx>
Subject:      Writing in Schools Is Found Both Dismal and Neglected  New Report
To:           K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

April 26, 2003
By TAMAR LEWIN

Most fourth graders spend less than three hours a week
writing, which is about 15 percent of the time they spend
watching television. Seventy-five percent of high school
seniors never get a writing assignment from their history
or social studies teachers.

And in most high schools, the extended research paper, once
a senior-year rite of passage, has been abandoned because
teachers do not have time to grade it anymore.

Those are among the findings of a report issued yesterday
by the National Commission on Writing in America's Schools
and Colleges, an 18-member panel of educators organized by
the College Board.

The commission's report asserts that writing is among the
most important skills students can learn, that it is the
mechanism through which they learn to connect the dots in
their knowledge - and that it is now woefully ignored in
most American schools.

"Writing, always time-consuming for student and teacher, is
today hard-pressed in the American classroom," the report
said. "Of the three R's, writing is clearly the most
neglected."

"This report is a great beginning," said the executive
director of the National Writing Project, Richard Sterling,
chairman of the commission's advisory board. "If this is
the trigger that allows us to step up to the kind of
interest there has been around reading and math, it will
make a big difference in children's education.

"But the commission could sink without a trace unless we go
forth and say: How does it actually happen? How do we get
the recommendations into policy? How do we get enough
professional development for teachers? How do we recognize
the excellent work that's going on?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/26/education/26WRIT.html?ex=1052502212&ei=1&en=7f9d6321a2a904ea

FREE CLIP ART
Do your Students, Teachers, Administrators, Tech Eds
need to know where to go for great online resources
for the arts? Integrate the arts into the classroom.
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Arts/websites.html>

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com
<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>

ADVERTISE REACH THE EDUCATION MARKET

GET FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters, New-list
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

SERVICES