K12> Wishlists for schools and non-profits

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:51:05 -0600

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

Wishlists for schools and non-profits
http://wishlist.craigslist.org./

a little background ...

Two local guys got together recently in San Francisco's Cole Valley: Rick
Karp, President of Cole Hardware® and a neighborhood guy named Craig
Newmark, from craigslist.

They came together to figure out a better way to help out teachers, schools
and nonprofits.

The idea began for Rick back in 1994, when he started the School and
Community Partnership Program in San Francisco. It's been incredibly
valuable for over 211 schools, lots of teachers and lots of students.

A few years ago, Pam, a friend of Craig's, started teaching in San Mateo.
One day she mentioned that teachers spend from $500 to $1500 per year out
of their own pockets for classroom supplies.

This didn't exactly overjoy Craig; teacher's salaries are notoriously low,
and this burden adds to a more difficult financial situation for our educators.

You know craigslist is a platform where people give each other a break. Our
focus is on the small, the local, the stuff we know in our gut helps people
out. Craig thought about this for a long time until the obvious occurred to
him while reading the Cole Hardware® newsletter about their community
program. He hesitated to start a commercial partnership, but considered
that Cole Hardware® is one of Craig's inspirations for "insanely great
customer service" and has a remarkable community orientation.

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
The Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/
Hot List of Schools Online
Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters, New-list
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html
"Standing in the Shadows of Motown" Funk Brothers WebQuest
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/culdesac/Stars/funkbrothers.html
7 Hot Site Awards
New York Times, USA Today , MSNBC, Earthlink,
USA Today Best Bets For Educators, Macworld Top Fifty