K12> NEWS: Possible Increase in Federal Funding for Libraries

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:15:19 -0500

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

Date:         Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:57:49 -0700
From:         Linda DeVore <linda.devore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:      NEWS:  Possible Increase in Federal Funding for Libraries
To:           LM_NET@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I just found this in this week's eSN School Technology Alert:

Congress considers $100 million increase in library funding
By Corey Murray, Assistant Editor, eSchool News
April 25, 2003

The American Library Association (ALA) is leading the charge to reauthorize
a bill that could pump millions of dollars of additional funding into school
library programs nationwide. Schools would be able to use the funds to
upgrade sophisticated technology systems, connect to statewide electronic
databases, and preserve documents digitally, among other things.
The Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) of 1996-part of the larger
Museum and Library Services Act-was intended to improve access to learning
and information resources by boosting communication between libraries and by
making resources more readily available to underserved populations.
Its pending reauthorization stands to increase the amount of federal money
available to school and public libraries by as much as $100 million. Given
the recent spate of education-related budget cuts and the sheer expense of
high-end data storage and information-sharing technologies, library
advocates and policy makers agree that current funding levels fall short of
rapidly evolving needs.

"School libraries have been neglected for a long time. A lot of collections
have been neglected," said Mary Costabile, ALA's associate director. "I look
at [the reauthorization] as a big step along the way to helping libraries
improve."

Library systems, she said, have had a hard time keeping pace with technology
upgrades, including the computerization of archaic card catalogs; access to
internet resources, trade journals, and online encyclopedias; and the
ability to locate resources using a complex web of computer networks and
searchable, statewide databases.

In light of nationwide budget cuts, Costabile said increased funding for
school libraries is critical. "It's so very important," she said. "The worst
that could be done is to not pay attention to this."
The Senate version of the bill (S. 888)-referred to the Senate Health,
Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee on April 11-would increase
funding for school and public library programs from $150 million to $250
million a year, while museum funding would jump from $28.7 million to $41.5
million.

Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., who co-sponsored the bill along with Sen. Judd
Gregg, R-N.H., said additional funding for library services would garner
national enthusiasm for learning.

"Museums and libraries are rich centers of learning, woven into the fabric
of our communities, big and small, urban and rural," Reed said in a
statement promoting the legislation. "Today's library is not simply a place
where books are read and borrowed. It is a place where a love for reading is
born and renewed again and again, and where information is sought and
discovered."

The House passed its own version of the bill (H.R. 13) on March 6 by an
overwhelming margin of 416-2. Sponsored by Rep. Pete Hoekstra, R-Mich., H.R.
13 authorizes $215 million for libraries and $35 million for museums-meaning
if the Senate bill passes as expected, lawmakers from both chambers of
Congress will have to work out a compromise on funding.
Still, barring any unforeseen circumstances, school and public libraries
stand to benefit from at least $65 million in additional funding.
"We'd like to get it finished as quick as we can," Costabile said. "I mean,
there's really nothing to fight about here."

At the district level, some educators predict the reauthorization would
herald a new era of library-resource management in schools.
"In the current reauthorization bill, there is certain new language which
could open the door to providing more money for multi-use collaboration
between school and public libraries," said Trish Mulkey, assistant director
for learning media services at the Plano Independent School District in
Texas. "Using funding to maintain records and locations of print resources,
as well as linking users to primary source materials, seems like a very
equitable and efficient use of federal money."

Under the new law, the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) would
hold on to 9 percent of the federal allocation for libraries. A portion of
these funds would support the IMLS's competitive national grant program for
research, training, and the digital preservation of library resources, while
the rest would be tagged for Native American Library resources and
administrative costs.

The remainder of the allocation would be divvied out to states based on a
two-step formula. Initially, each state would receive a block grant. The
pending reauthorization would double funding for this minimum base
allocation, from $340,000 to $680,000 per state. The rest of the money then
would be distributed to each state library association based on the state's
overall population.

According to Mamie Bittner, director of public and legislative affairs at
IMLS, state library associations would be able to use the appropriations to
support statewide initiatives and services. They also could dole out the
funds to public, academic, research, school, and special libraries in their
state by way of a competitive grants process or through cooperative
agreements.

Bittner said each state maintains a five-year plan outlining its library
programs. These programs must support the LSTA's goals, which are to:
*       Establish or enhance electronic linkages among or between libraries;
*       Link libraries electronically with educational, social, or information
services;
*       Help libraries access information through electronic networks;
*       Encourage libraries in different areas and different types of
libraries to establish consortia and share resources;
*       Pay costs for libraries to acquire or share computer systems and
telecommunications technologies; and
*       Target library and information services to persons who have
difficulty using a library and to underserved urban and rural communities.

Now that more libraries are beginning to use technology as a means of
sharing resources and cataloging data, "a whole new world has opened up,"
ALA's Costabile said. "You wouldn't think of living without your computer."
Library funding also would provide schools with technology to preserve
historical texts and other valuable documents digitally, so they are easily
accessible and withstand the passage of time. "History is full of dead
machines that no one knows how to work anymore," Costabile said. "Keeping
the information and storing it is one thing, accessing it is another."
Sen. Gregg, who chairs the HELP Committee, said the impending
reauthorization and its potential increase in funding would position
America's museums and libraries for the future.

"Libraries and museums serve as important cultural institutions in
communities all around our nation," he said. "I benefited from the local
library in my community growing up, and by reauthorizing this funding we
will continue to ensure the preservation of our libraries and museums for
generations to come."
He continued: "I am also pleased that this bill will coordinate its action
with the school library provisions of the No Child Left Behind Act. I expect
to move this legislation through the HELP Committee soon and look forward to
its speedy passage."

Linda De Vore
Media Center Director
Casa Grande Middle School
Casa Grande, AZ 85222
linda.devore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to: listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com
<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>

ADVERTISE REACH THE EDUCATION MARKET

GET FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters, New-list
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

SERVICES