K12> Congress Approves $101 Million for FY03 Math and Science Partnerships

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:52:45 -0600

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

Congress Approves $101 Million for FY03 Math and Science Partnerships

Last week the Senate and House approved the appropriations bill for FY03
programs which included funding of $101 million for the Math and Science
Partnerships (Title II Part B) at the U. S. Department of Education. The
funding was included as part of a giant omnibus spending package, which
rolled together funding for most federal programs.

The $101 million figure passed by the House and Senate is very important,
because the authorizing law for these programs (Title II Part B of No Child
Left Behind) requires the funds to be disbursed to the states when funding
reaches $100 million. Currently, since the program only received $12.5
million in funding for FY02, the grants were administered by the U. S.
Department of Education.

Initially these partnerships were to receive $100 million, and were subject
to a .65 percent across the board cut that Congress put in place for all
programs. Since the $100 million trigger may not have been implemented
because of the across the board cuts, the funding for the partnerships was
raised to $101 million.

This means that now these partnership funds will go as formula grants
directly to each State, and the State Education Agency will be responsible
for administering local grants to partnerships throughout the state. (For
an estimate of how much each state will receive, visit the NSTA website at
www.nsta.org, click on Math and Science Partnerships on the front page.)

WHERE TO GO WHEN YOU NEED GRANT RESOURCES
Government Funding Resources Education Grants,
Scholarships & Loans, State Agency Phone Numbers for
Student Financial Aid, Business Plan Resources for Women,
Federal Department of Education Technology Grants
ARTS, Grants for Women, Grants for Women & Girls
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Teachers/grants.html>

This huge increase to math and science education funding is largely thanks
to Congressman Ralph Regula (R-OH), chair of the Education Appropriations
Subcommittee. He has been a true champion for science and math education,
both nationwide and in Ohio, and he deserves our recognition and our
thanks. Ohio teachers are urged to take a moment to call or email Mr.
Regula and thank him for his generous support of science and math education
in the FY03 Appropriations bill. His contact information is:

Phone: 202-225-3876 (leave a message of support/thanks or speak to Laurie
and relay the message to her)
Phone, Canton office: 330-489-4414
Email: www.house.gov/regula

Snail Mail:
The Honorable Ralph Regula
U.S. House of Representatives
2306 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

     ///   Karen Ellis
  __ ///   New York Times, USA Today & Best Bets For Educators, MSNBC.com
& Hot Site Pick Awards
  \\\///   Standing In The Shadows of Motown
  \X/  Subscribe Mailing Lists
   \/ <http://www.edu-cyberpg.comy.>

"I was born in Boston, New England, and owe my first instructions
in literature to the free grammar schools established there. I therefore
give one hundred pounds sterling to my executors, to be by them, the
survivors or survivor of them, paid over to the managers or directors of
the free schools in my native town of Boston, to be by them, or by those
person or persons, who shall have the superintendance and management
of the said schools, put out to interest, and so continued at interest
forever,
which interest annually shall be laid out in silver medals, and given as
honorary
rewards annually by the directors of the said free schools belonging to the
said town, in such manner as to the discretion of the selectmen of the said
town shall seem meet."
               -- Last Will and Testement of Benjamin
Franklin (1789)

"Liberty is not the ability to do what you want, but the desire to be what
you can."
                             -- Jean Paul Sartre)

"History is just gossip well-told"
                            --   Elbert Hubbard

"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that  unnerves me and
causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of the war,
corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high
places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to
prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth
is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at
this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even
in the midst of war."
                              -- U.S.
President Abraham Lincoln