[net-gold] TRANSPORTATION: RAILROAD: DISASTERS : UNITED STATES: CITIES: PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA : UNITED STATES: POLITICS: POLITICAL PARTIES: REPUBLICAN PARTY, TEA PARTY : INDUSTRIES: PETROLEUM : LIBRETARIANISM : How Congress Caused the Amtrak Crash

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nabble Groups Net-Gold <ml-node+s3172864n3172864h56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold on IO Groups list <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Wiggio.com" <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rail Tram Discussion Group on Yahoo Groups <railtram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 07:04:19 -0400 (EDT)

.

TRANSPORTATION: RAILROAD: DISASTERS :

UNITED STATES: CITIES: PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA:

UNITED STATES: POLITICS: POLITICAL PARTIES: REPUBLICAN PARTY, TEA PARTY :

INDUSTRIES: PETROLEUM :

LIBRETARIANISM :

How Congress Caused the Amtrak Crash

.

.

How Congress Caused the Amtrak Crash

The tragedy of Tuesdays Amtrak derailment could have been prevented if Congress had the foresight to invest in Americas infrastructure.

Breakdown

05.15.155:05 PM ET

Irwin Redleder

Daily Beast

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/15/ how-congress-caused-the-amtrak-crash.html

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/kn4ebdp

.

.

Tuesday evenings derailment of Amtrak 188 in Philadelphia underscores the real consequences of neglecting Americas fragile infrastructure. According to a National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) spokesperson, the stretch of rail track where the crash took place wasnt equipped with an automated speed control (aka positive train control or PTC) system. The NTSB official added that based on what we know right now, we feel that had such a system been installed in this section of track, this accident would not have occurred.

.

Clearly, the investigation into the causes of this horror story is ongoing, but the point is that if available technological safeguards were in place, even a reckless decision to drive at twice the recommended speed limit around that curve could well have been overridden.

.

Indeed, the absence of PTC and other accident prevention strategies everywhere throughout the U.S. rail system is inexcusable. The absence also reflects a much larger problem: an irresponsible lack of commitment by the federal government to our national rail system and the rest of the nations crumbling infrastructure.

.

Americans seem to have an inordinately high tolerance for preventable risk. Or maybe its better described as a politically pathological aversion to making long-term investments in our future resiliency. How else can one explain the failure to repair and upgrade the infrastructure we depend on to commute, transport goods and services to market, and travel?

.

Our breath-taking scope of inattention encompasses not just the rail system but all of our transportation systems from highways and bridges to tunnels and levees, shipping channels, waste facilities, and an antiquated electrical grid that remains highly vulnerable to all manner of cyberthreats, natural and otherwise.

.

We once had an infrastructure envied around the globe, initiated by visionaries like Franklin Roosevelt and Dwight Eisenhower and built by the best engineers and workers on earth. Now all of that has fallen victim to political paralysis, a failure to understand priorities and dangerous shortsightedness.

.

.

.

.

.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@xxxxxxxxxx
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

Research Guides

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557
INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IndoorGardeningUrban/info
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

Information Literacy (Russell Conwell Center Guide)
http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neemers/

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
David P. Dillard
http://tinyurl.com/p63whl

RailTram Discussion Group
From the Union Pacific to BritRail and Beyond
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/railtram/info

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

.

.

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives

.

.