[net-gold] Can the Cognitive Impact of Calculus Courses be Enhanced?: Response to Dubinsky

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Other Net-Gold Lists -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nabble Groups Net-Gold <ml-node+s3172864n3172864h56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Wiggio.com" <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 20:50:22 -0500 (EST)

.

Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 16:55:41 -0800
From: Richard Hake <rrhake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: AERA-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Net-Gold] Can the Cognitive Impact of Calculus Courses be Enhanced?:
    Response to Dubinsky

.

If you reply to this long (152 kB) post please don't hit the reply button, bane of discussion lists, unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

.

The ABSTRACT reads:

.

.

ABSTRACT: In response to my post "Can the Cognitive Impact of Calculus Courses be Enhanced?" [Hake (2013)] at <http://bit.ly/1loHgC4> (2.7 MB), Ed Dubinsky (2013) at  <http://bit.ly/JRB9Km> of the RUME (Research in Undergraduate Math Education) list made 6 points which I have abbreviated below and to which I respond in this post:

.

1. "I agree with most of what you wrote."

.

2. "As far as I know, 'UME Trends' has not been archived. . . . the articles are historically important because they represent a major turning point in the mathematical community towards undergraduate education."

.

3. "I think more has gone on in MER during the last 20 years than is indicated in your piece. There is a special interest group SIGMAA ON RUME, which stands for Special Interest Group of the MAA on Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education."

.

4. "I think we who work in RUME must acknowledge our debt to Physics Education Research."

.

5. "I am not quite as enthusiastic about CCI as you are. . . . . How are you going to keep the educational community from using CCI to 'teach to the test' and even to cheat?"

.

6. "I wonder what you have to say about the C4L calculus reform project that we developed at Purdue and was funded by the NSF Calculus Reform movement?"

.

.

In response to my post "Can the Cognitive Impact of Calculus Courses be Enhanced?" [Hake (2013)] veteran Math Ed Researcher (MER) Ed Dubinsky (2012) of the RUME (Research in Undergraduate Math Education) list made 6 points which I copy below (slightly edited; my comments inserted at ". . . . . .[[comment]]. . . . .").

.

 11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

.

1. Dubinsky (2013) wrote: "I enjoyed this article . . . .[["Can the Cognitive Impact of Calculus Courses be Enhanced?" (Hake, 2013)]]. . . . . and I thank you for sending it.  I agree with most of what you wrote."

.

Thanks for your thanks. None of the traditionalist math warriors of Math-Teach with archives at <http://bit.ly/eOTrs1> responded to my post, but I suspect they do NOT agree with most of what I wrote. [G.S. Chandy (2013) of the Math-Teach list seemed to agree with most of what I wrote, but he is the polar opposite of a traditionalist math warrior.]

.

22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222

.

2. Dubinsky (2013) wrote: "I very much regret that, as far as I know, 'UME Trends' has not been archived.  It ran from 1987 to 1993 and in those days there was not the practice of putting everything on line.  I know that hard copies exist. I have a full set of hard copies of the issues (it is bound, given to me by the MAA).  I wish someone would put them on line, but I know of no plans to do so. . . . . [[I think that the MAA should be urged to put the UME Trends articles online.]]. . . . . . .  I think they are historically important because they represent a major turning point in the mathematical community towards undergraduate education. . . . .[[I emphatically agree]]. . . . It came to an end, as I recall, because the MAA wanted to expand 'FOCUS' and incorporating several of the features (and some of the staff) of 'UME Trends 'was part of that."

.

3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

.

3. Dubinsky (2013) wrote: "I think more has gone on in MER during the last 20 years than is indicated in your piece.  There is a special interest group SIGMAA ON RUME, which stands for Special Interest Group of the MAA on Research inUndergraduate Mathematics Education.  It holds an annual conference of papers on RUME. . . . . .[[See e.g., "Conference on Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education, 27 Feb – 11 March 2014, Denver, CO" online at <http://bit.ly/1lg7JVh>]]. . . . . . . . and works to foster research and help mathematicians who want to switch their field of research to RUME.

.

SIGMAA ON RUME used to publish an occasional volume, RCME or Research in Collegiate Mathematics Education and is trying to get the MAA to support a journal dedicated to RUME.  The latter is not succeeding, but I think it is for a good reason.  When I switched from research in mathematics to research in RUME, most math ed journals were not interested in publishing papers in RUME as opposed to K-12 research.   For some it was an explicit policy.  This is one of the reasons we started RCME.". . . . . . . .[["See, e.g., "Issues in Mathematics Education Book Series online at <http://bit.ly/1iDNiSo>, which includes (a) "Published Volumes in the CBMS Issues in Mathematics Education Series"  at <http://bit.ly/1kjkd0l>; (b) "Editorial Policy and Information for Authors" at <http://bit.ly/JSApF0>, and (c) "Editorial Policy for Research in Collegiate Mathematics Education Volumes" at <http://bit.ly/1ey1tDx>.]]. . . . . . . . . .

.

Today, however, I think just about every math ed research journal is perfectly willing to publish articles in RUME.  One indication of what I see as a 'sea change' is that I was recently asked to be an Associate Editor of the "Journal of  Mathematical Behavior". . . . . . . . . .[[See <http://bit.ly/19Ija5N>.]]. . . . . . . . . I believe that, in part, it was because the journal wants to increase the number of papers focussing on RUME.  So I am not sure we are so needful of, or ready for, a journal specifically devoted to RUME.  I think that first, we must determine that there will be a sufficient number of high quality papers to justify such a step. Nevertheless, I think it is fair to say that RUME is flourishing and it is doing so in the mathematical community (most mathematics departments today either have or would like to have faculty who specialize in RUME) with not total, but growing, acceptance."

.

4444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444

.

4. Dubinsky (2013) wrote: "I think we who work in RUME must acknowledge our debt to Physics Education Research.  This not only came before RUME but provided many ideas that helped form a foundation for RUME.  Physics was the leader and I hope that RUME will live up to that example."

.

 Dubinsky's comment is consistent with "Teaching in a research context" [Wood & Gentile  (2003)] published in "Science" – see the signature quote.

.

 5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

.

5. Dubinsky (2013) wrote: "I am not quite as enthusiastic about CCI as you are.  I agree with its power as assessment, but I don't see how it has been or is going to be a powerful force for enhancing the cognitive impact of calculus courses.  This concern applies to any form of testing, especially by multiple choice questions.  How are you going to keep the educational community from using CCI to 'teach to the test' and even to cheat?

.

The tendency to treat any concrete form of assessments in this way was called by Piaget 'the American Problem.'  The current American frenzy for testing substantiates his view. . . . . . . [[According to Zachary Stein (2007), what Piaget called "the American problem" was the tendency of Americans to try to speed up childrens' cognitive development. I think the problem which concerns Dubinsky is better set forth by the laws of Dunkenfield and Campbell – see e.g., "Dukenfield's Law & Campbell's Law" [Hake (2010)] and the signature quotes.]]. . . . . . . .

.

[According to Wikipedia:

.

(a) at <http://bit.ly/19Y2yRV>: "William Claude Dukenfield (January 29, 1880 – December 25, 1946), better known as W. C. Fields, was an American comedian, actor, juggler, and writer. Fields' comic persona was a misanthropic and hard-drinking egotist, who remained a sympathetic character despite his snarling contempt for dogs, children, and women."

.

(b) at <http://bit.ly/12eZL7I>: "Donald Thomas Campbell (November 20, 1916 – May 5, 1996) was an American social scientist. He is noted for his work in methodology. He coined the term "evolutionary epistemology" and developed a selectionist theory of human creativity.]

.

In "Interactive-engagement vs traditional methods: A six-thousand-student survey of mechanics test data for introductory  physics courses" [Hake (1998a)] I considered various systematic errors, among them 'teaching to the test' and test-question leakage, that might negate my conclusion that "The conceptual and problem-solving test results strongly suggest that the classroom use of IE (Interactive Engagement) methods can increase mechanics-course effectiveness well beyond that obtained in traditional practice." Therein I wrote "Considering the elemental nature of the FCI questions, for IE courses both the average <<g>>48IE = 0.48 ± 0.14, and maximum <g> = 0.69 are disappointingly low, and below those which might be expected if teaching to the test or test-question leakage were important influences. . . . . . In the broadest sense, IE courses all 'teach to the test' to some extent if this means teaching so as to give students some understanding of the basic concepts of Newtonian mechanics as examined on the FCI/MD tests. However this is the bias we are attempting to measure.

.

And in "Re: pre-to-post tests as measures of learning/teaching" [Hake (2008)] I wrote "Since pre/post testing in the courses surveyed in Hake (1998a,b) was FORMATIVE, not summative, "Campbell's Law" [Campbell (1976), Nichols & Berliner (2005, 2007)] is unlikely to have raised its ugly head. In fact, the use of pre/post testing to gauge the effectiveness of high-school and undergraduate courses in promoting students' conceptual understanding has succeeded in part because it is strictly formative:  both  teachers' 'action research' and education researchers' scientific  research is carried out to improve classroom teaching and learning,  NOT to rate instructors, students, or institutions. Thus it's  "formative" as defined by the Joint Committee on Standards for  Educational Evaluation, JCSEE (1994):'Formative evaluation is evaluation designed and used to improve an object, especially when it  is still being developed.'

.

6666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666

.

6. Dubinsky (2013) wrote: "I wonder what you have to say about the C4L calculus reform project that we developed at Purdue and was funded by the NSF Calculus Reform movement?  You reference most of the material describing that program (but not much of the research into its effectiveness) but you don't say anything about it.  I think this project is an exception to many of the points you make in your article.  I say "exception" rather than "counter example" because I think overall, what you say about Calculus Reform is on the mark.  But I would be very interested to know your views on C4L."

.

In "Can the Cognitive Impact of Calculus Courses be Enhanced?" [Hake (2013)] I referenced "Assessing the Effectiveness of Innovative Educational Reform Efforts [Schwingendorf (1999)] and "A longitudinal study of the C4L calculus reform program: Comparisons of C4L and traditional students" [Schwingendorf, McCabe, & Kuhn (2000).] For the latter reference I failed to indicate that the article is online as a 172 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/1i7QQcV>. The abstract reads [bracketed by lines "SMK-SMK-SMK-. . . . ."]:

.

SMK-SMK-SMK-SMK-SMK-SMK-SMK-SMK-SMK

.

This paper presents the results of a longitudinal statistical study in which comparisons are made between students who were taught introductory calculus courses using the Calculus, Concepts, Computers and Cooperative Learning (C4L) pedagogical methodology and students taught in the traditional way (TRAD). Two basic, related, questions considered in this study are:

.

(a) Which program, C4L or TRAD, provides a student with a better understanding of the required calculus concepts?

.

(b) Which program, C4L or TRAD, better inspires students to pursue further study in calculus or, more generally, mathematics?

.

The results of this study favor the C4L program over the TRAD program. On the one hand, for example, it is found the C4L students earn higher grades in calculus courses; in fact, almost half a grade higher, on average, than the TRAD students. On the other hand, for example, it is found the C4L students are as prepared as the TRAD students, but not more so, for mathematics courses beyond the calculus program. After some discussion of the C4L program, the paper describes the statistical model used to perform the comparison between the two teaching methods and then presents the results of this sta- tistical analysis. This paper reports on one phase of the evaluation of the C4L calculus program, a quantitative evaluation based on a statistical model which is similar to that used in some health studies (e.g., studies on the relationship between second-hand smoke and cancer) and industrial studies (e.g., studies of the effects of the notion of Total Quality Management as related to productivity and employee satisfaction) which are observational in nature. The other phase of the C4L evaluation involves qualitative research studies involving both C4L and TRAD students.

.

SMK-SMK-SMK-SMK-SMK-SMK-SMK-SMK-SMK

.

Considering the above, I agree with Dubinsky that the C4L program is an exception to the usual "Lack of Evidence of Improved Student Learning" [Section "E" of Hake (2013).]

.

Richard Hake,

Emeritus Professor of Physics,

Indiana University;

LINKS TO:

Academia <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>; Articles <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>; Blog <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>; Facebook <http://on.fb.me/XI7EKm>; GooglePlus <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>; Google Scholar  <http://bit.ly/Wz2FP3>; Linked In <http://linkd.in/14uycpW>; Research Gate <http://bit.ly/1fJiSwB>; Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>; Twitter <http://bit.ly/juvd52>.

.

"Physics educators have led the way in developing and using objective tests to compare student learning gains in different types of courses, and chemists, biologists, and others are now developing similar instruments. These tests provide convincing evidence that students assimilate new knowledge more effectively in courses including active, inquiry-based, and collaborative learning, assisted by information technology, than in traditional courses." - Wood & Gentile (2003)

.

If a thing is worth winning, it's worth cheating for." - Dunkenfield's Law

.

"The more any quantitative social indicator is used for social decision making, the more subject it will be to corruption pressures and the more apt it will be to distort and corrupt the social processes it is intended to monitor." - Campbell's Law

REFERENCES [All URL's accessed on 05 Jan 2014; most shortened by <http://bit.ly/>.]

.

Campbell, D. T. 1976. "Assessing the impact of planned social change," in G. Lyons, ed., "Social research and public policies: The Dartmouth/OECD Conference, " Chapter 1, pp. 3-45.; online as a 201 kB pdf at  <http://bit.ly/L35QtF>.

.

Chandy, G.S. "Re: Can the Cognitive Impact of Calculus Courses be Enhanced?" online on the OPEN! Math-Teach archives at <http://bit.ly/JRB9Km>. Post of 31 Dec 21:53 –0500  to Math-Teach.

.

Dubinsky, E. 2013. "Re: Can the Cognitive Impact of Calculus Courses be Enhanced?" online on the OPEN! RUME archives at <http://bit.ly/JRB9Km>. Post of 30 Dec 19:54:18–0500 to RUME.

.

Hake, R.R. 1998a. "Interactive-engagement vs  traditional methods: A six-thousand-student  survey of mechanics test data for introductory  physics courses," Am. J. Phys. 66: 64-74; online  as an  84 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/9484DG> .  See also the crucial but generally ignored companion paper Hake (1998b).

.

Hake, R.R. 1998b. “Interactive-engagement methods in introductory mechanics courses,” online as a 108 kB pdf at  <http://bit.ly/aH2JQN>. A crucial companion paper to Hake (1998a). Submitted on 6/19/98 to the “Physics Education Research Supplement” (PERS) of the American Journal of Physics, but rejected by its editor on the grounds that the very transparent, well organized, and crystal clear Physical-Review-type data tables were "impenetrable"!

.

Hake, R.R. 2008. "Re: pre-to-post tests as measures of learning/teaching" online at the OPEN AERA-J  archives at <http://bit.ly/1kkrpte>. Post of  28 Jan 2008 17:33:48-0800 to AERA-L and several other discussion lists.

.

Hake, R.R. 2010a. "Dukenfield's Law & Campbell's Law," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/9FWI9n>. Post of 14 Aug 2010 20:52:11-0700 to AERA-L, Net Gold,  and various other discussion lists., See also Hake (2010b).

.

Hake, R.R. 2010b. "Dukenfield's Law & Campbell's Law #2," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/1ezRCgg>. Post of 22 Aug 2010 15:31:31-0700 to AERA-L, Net Gold,  and various other discussion lists.

.

Hake, R.R. 2013. "Can the Cognitive Impact of Calculus Courses be Enhanced?" An update of 26 Dec 2013 of an invited talk of 24 April 2012, Department of Mathematics, University of Southern California, online as a 2.7 MB pdf at  <http://bit.ly/1loHgC4> and as ref. 70 at <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>. The abstract and link are being transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/1jXolD6> with a provision for comments.

.

Nichols, S.L & D.C. Berliner. 2005. "The Inevitable Corruption of Indicators and Educators Through High-Stakes Testing," Arizona State Univ., Education Policy Studies Laboratory, online at <http://bit.ly/fwzB3X> (1.7 MB). See also Nichols & Berliner (2007).

.

Nichols S.L. & D. Berliner. 2007. "Collateral Damage: How High-Stakes Testing Corrupts America's Schools." Harvard Education Press, foreword by Nel Noddings, publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/JVP6a6>. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/fi57g7>, note the searchable "Look Inside" feature.

.

Stein, Z. 2007. "Addressing the American problem by modeling cognitive development," online as a 70 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/Ktu83F>.

.

Schwingendorf, K.E. 1999. "Assessing the Effectiveness of Innovative Educational Reform Efforts," in MAA (1999); in Gold, Keith, & Marion (1999) online at <http://bit.ly/1e6ShtL>, pp. 249- 252. Schwingendorf wrote: "This study explains the creation of a calculus reform program, its objectives, and philosophy and provides an in-depth comparison of reform-trained students with traditional students. The ‘Calculus, Concepts, Computers and Cooperative Learning,’ or C4L Calculus Reform Program is part of the National Calculus Reform Movement. The initial design of the C4L program began in 1987 under the leadership of Ed Dubinsky and Keith Schwingendorf on the West Lafayette campus of Purdue University."

.

Schwingendorf, K.E., G.P. McCabe, & J. Kuhn. 2000. "A longitudinal study of the C4L calculus reform program: Comparisons of C4L and traditional students," in Research in Collegiate Mathematics Education IV [Dubinsky et al. (2000)] at <http://bit.ly/MNQbwI>. . . . . . [[added on 05 Jan 2014: online as a 172 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/1i7QQcV>]]. . . . .  ..

.

Wood, W.B., & J.M. Gentile. 2003. "Teaching in a research context," Science 302: 1510; 28 November; online as a 213 kB pdf <http://bit.ly/SyhOvL>, thanks to Ecoplexity <http://bit.ly/152aFQ9>.

.

.