[neact] Re: chem ed 2011

  • From: "Barbara Lamont" <blamont@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: neact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 14:39:41 -0500

To Chemistry Educators Everywhere:

Planning for Chem Ed 2011 is well underway, and we are looking for YOU!!
WE ARE NOW REGISTERING PRESENTERS ON OUR WEBSITE AND HOPE THAT YOU WILL
COME AND SHARE SOME NUGGET OF YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH YOUR COLLEAGUES!!!
Presenters must register their sessions by February 25th!

As the 21st Chem Ed conference takes place at Western Michigan University
in Kalamazoo, MI, this July, it will have a bang-up coming-of-age party!
Here are a few of the details:

WHEN:  July 24-28, 2011

WHO:  We?re planning on at least 700 chemistry teachers from all over the
world.  We have commitments from more than ten industrial and university
chemists who will be bringing us up to date on the chemistry involved in
their fields.  We have several folk who will be presenting workshops about
the latest in brain research and how you can apply it to teaching
chemistry in your classroom.  We?ve extended an invitation to over 75
potential exhibitors to come and show you their latest wares, and many
have already signed on to come.

WHAT:  Workshops, sessions, and special speakers will fill three and a
half days of  wonderful learning opportunities. In addition,
  · On Sunday, we?ll have talented Michigan chemical demonstrators doing a
    demonstration extravaganza; we?ll follow that with a good-old Michigan
    Cookout and the opening of the exhibits.
  ·  Monday morning will be our Reg Friesen lecturer, John Fortman.  Dr.
    Fortman is a professor emeritus from Wright State University, and is a
    well- known chemical educator.  We are delighted to be honoring him by
    having him give this lecture.  He?ll be talking about ?How to Use
    Demos to Tell Chemical Stories.?  Monday evening, we?ll unwind with an
    ice cream social, a viewing of John?s ?Chemical Bloopers? show and
    more exhibit hall time.
  · Tuesday morning is the conference Mole Run/Walk, and in the evening
    we?ll enjoy wine, beer and appetizers at the exhibit hall social, with
    door prizes and great fellowship.
  · Wednesday morning brings the Mole Breakfast, sponsored by the Mole Day
    Foundation.  In the evening we have exclusive use of the Kalamazoo Air
    Zoo and Space Center, with a Michigan-themed buffet banquet.  The Air
    Zoo time includes rides, simulations and a great 4-D movie and is a
    wonderful family event.
  · After a round of regular sessions on Thursday, we?ll close with
    another terrific speaker and bid you a fond farewell until the next
    Chem Ed.
  · Throughout the conference, professionals from Michigan companies will
    be explaining the chemistry of their products.  These ?Michigan
    Lectures? will be about the chemistry of taste, beer, wine, polymers,
    baking mixes, paper and many other topics.  Ever hear of Bell?s beer??

BRING THE FAMILY:  We?ve planned a Kids Chem Camp for school-age children.
 Childcare is available through the service that the university faculty
uses.  Family tours as well as professional tours are being arranged to
take advantage of southwest Michigan?s nearby beaches, wineries, art
trails and industries.  If you want to plan your family vacation around
the conference, not only is southwest Michigan a great place to vacation,
but Detroit, Chicago and Ontario/Canada are each only about 2.5 hours away.

So check out our website for more details and for deadlines, but
DO COME TO MICHIGAN IN 2011!!

[ http://www.chemed2011.co ]www.chemed2011.com

        Archived messages may be accessed at
//www.freelists.org/archives/neact
        ?Digest? mode: Subscribers may set a flag to this effect, whereby all
messages during a given
day will arrive at the end of the day as one email message.   Please see the
Freelists.org help files,
or log on to the web portal for instructions.
        ?Vacation? flag: It is also possible to set this option, which will
cause messages to not be
delivered for the length of time that you specify.  Here too, please see the
Freelists.org help files,
or log on to the web portal for instructions.
        Moderator: The moderator of this list is Steve Stepenuck, whose contact
information is on the
NEACT website at http://www.neact.org/list_service.  Please contact him if you
encounter any problems
subscribing to or using this list.  Thank you.