[neact] Focus group for upcoming PBS series "The Mystery of Matter: Search for the Elements"

  • From: Stephen Stepenuck <sstepenuck@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "neact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <neact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 00:08:52 -0500

Posted on behalf of Christine V. Brown, Education Development Center,
Waltham MA.
N.B. That enrollment details on this will appear in the upcoming NEACT
Newsletter.
--sjs

Over the past two years I¹ve been working on a new project with Moreno/Lyons
Productions with funding from the National Science Foundation. This new PBS
chemistry series called The Mystery of Matter: Search for the Elements will
be a two-hour film about the human story behind the Periodic Table,
revealing (through dramatic re-enactments) how people like Marie Curie,
Antoine Lavoisier and Dmitri Mendeleev made discoveries that laid the
foundation for our understanding of the material world. In addition to the
film, the project includes an extensive Web site, an outreach plan featuring
hands-on chemistry activities for kids -- and a special Teacher's Edition &
Guide, designed to help science teachers use the project to make chemistry
more exciting for their students.
My colleagues and I at Education Development Center, Inc. are developing the
Teacher's Edition & Guide, and have drafted a part of the teacher materials
based on the Marie Curie portion of the film. We're hoping to put together a
brainstorming session with high school chemistry teachers to get their
feedback on these materials. We were wondering if you might help us connect
with teachers via NEACT¹s listserve, a newsletter posting, a note on NEACT
Web site, or some combination of these.
We think it will be a fun session for the teachers, because they'll get to
watch a 13-minute "sneak preview" of the film and then review the draft
materials that have been prepared by EDC. To sweeten the offer, EDC will
also be offering Amazon gift certificates to the first 15 teachers to commit
to attending the session. (Others beyond the first 15 will also be welcome.)
Most important, it's a chance for the teachers to have a hand in shaping
what could be an exciting new teaching tool for the chemistry classroom.

Christine V. Brown
Education Development Center, Inc.
43 Foundry Ave., Waltham, MA  02453
email: cvbrown@xxxxxxx