[ncsc-moths] pink beauty in Watauga County

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:49:10 -0400

Moth'ers,

This morning while getting ready to leave the house for work, I noticed a
pretty pink moth resting on the porch wall.  A real beauty--Primrose Moth
(Schinia florida) #11164.  This is my first record for Echo Valley Farm and
only the second time I've seen this species--the other near Bluff Mountain
in July 2002.  It's slightly smaller than a Rosy Maple Moth and with the
pink and yellow pattern reversed.  According to Covell the larvae feed on
evening primrose and it is uncommon.

Lori, here's another pink one for your daughter!

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm