[ncsc-moths] Re: More new moths from Watauga County, NC

  • From: Lori Owenby <loriowenby@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:21:00 -0400

Wow.  Maybe its because I have a three year old little girl who's favorite
color is PINK--but I have a particular fondness for pink moths--and these
are some of the lovliest I've seen!  I haven't had much luck with attracting
moths over the last few weeks.  I've been leaving the light on over night at
my "new" park--but I think a fox has been coming by and scarfing down the
moths and beetles that it attracts.  I have found a fresh pile of scat very
nearby every morning and if I take a stick (only on the dry ones!) and break
it apart, it is filled to the brim with beetle parts and moth wings.  Has
anyone else had this problem?  I hate to not even try to attract the
moths---but I hate even more to lure them to their deaths.

On another note, we took Moth Club "on the road" last night out into park
instead of right near the office.  It was great!  But a severe thunderstorm
caused us to call it short after just 20 minutes of good darkness. I looked
like I had taken a shower with my clothes on by the time I got home!  If it
hadn't been for the lightning and the hail--I might have still been out
there!  We set up near a small pond and wetland and had about 20 species in
the 20 minutes we got to look--with a few new ones for the park that I
haven't id'd yet (pretty sure one was a Large Mossy Lithocoda). We also had
a very nice Clymene Moth, Tulip-tree Silkmoth, and a One-lined Zale.  Hope
everyone else is having luck with all this steamy-humid weather we've been
having!

Lori

--
-----