[ncsc-moths] Re: Watauga moths--18 Feb 2011

  • From: Lois Stacey <croakie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 22:00:58 -0500

I've been wondering what kind of habitat all of you have? I live in a mid-size town in an older neighborhood with large lots (around 3/4 to 1 acre). Most front yards are grass (mine isn't) but there are a lot of trees around, the distant hills look nicely wooded as you drive around . The river is about a mile or two away and the local greenway/greenspace is less than a mile the other direction. I don't get anywhere NEAR the numbers of individuals that I see reported here. My most numerous are Green Clover Worms, I've got 6 or 8 around tonight. For most other species I get one or two individuals and usually no more than one moth a night at the bait. Are all of you in the woods or rural?

Lois Stacey

On 2/18/2011 9:42 PM, J. Merrill Lynch wrote:
Moth'ers,
Another interesting night. Strange weather--downright balmy for February--windy with showers and temps hanging steady around 52 through 9 pm. I had about 40 individuals, almost all at my sugar bait with only a couple coming in to the lights. Same characters as last night with the addition of definitely 2, possibly 4, new species for the year. >Eupsilia morrisoni #9936: as usual, by far the most common species; probably about 20 individuals; >Eupsilia vinulenta #9933: about 5 (3 white spotted forms, 2 orange-yellow spotted); >Eupsilia tristigmata #9935: 1 (not sure about this id; could be just strongly marked E. vinulenta; see attached photo;
>Lithophane unimoda #9916:  about 4
>Lithophane grotei #9915: 1 or 2 of the L. unimoda types had more frosty wings, slightly darker black ground color and slightly more mottled appearance--not sure if this is normal variation in unimoda or the possibility of a different species with grotei a likely candidate;
>Lithophane joannis #9889.1:  2;
>Lithophane semiusta #9885: 1; seems to key out to this species (I use the keys in Forbes 1954--Lepidoptera of New York and neigboring states) and resembles image on MPG; quite rare across most of it's range and considered endangered in Ohio; a more northern species that ranges down the Appalachians with a record from the Smokies; if I'm correct, this would be the first record for Watauga County and one of few records for the state; specimen collected; image attached;
>Pyreferra citrombra #9930:  about 4;
>Pyreferra hesperidago #9929: 2; see attached images to compare the subtle differences between this and preceding species;
>Agonopterix sp.:  2 (the only micro)
Curiously, except for the Agonopterix, all of these moths are closely related and are all on the same plate in MPG!
Good mothing,
Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch