[ncsc-moths] Watauga moths--18 Feb 2011

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 21:42:30 -0500

Moth'ers,

Another interesting night.  Strange weather--downright balmy for
February--windy with showers and temps hanging steady around 52 through 9
pm.  I had about 40 individuals, almost all at my sugar bait with only a
couple coming in to the lights.  Same characters as last night with the
addition of definitely 2, possibly 4, new species for the year.

>Eupsilia morrisoni #9936:  as usual, by far the most common species;
probably about 20 individuals;
>Eupsilia vinulenta #9933:  about 5 (3 white spotted forms, 2 orange-yellow
spotted);
>Eupsilia tristigmata #9935:  1 (not sure about this id; could be just
strongly marked E. vinulenta; see attached photo;
>Lithophane unimoda #9916:  about 4
>Lithophane grotei #9915:  1 or 2 of the L. unimoda types had more frosty
wings, slightly darker black ground color and slightly more mottled
appearance--not sure if this is normal variation in unimoda or the
possibility of a different species with grotei a likely candidate;
>Lithophane joannis #9889.1:  2;
>Lithophane semiusta #9885:  1; seems to key out to this species (I use the
keys in Forbes 1954--Lepidoptera of New York and neigboring states) and
resembles image on MPG; quite rare across most of it's range and considered
endangered in Ohio; a more northern species that ranges down the
Appalachians with a record from the Smokies; if I'm correct, this would be
the first record for Watauga County and one of few records for the state;
specimen collected; image attached;
>Pyreferra citrombra #9930:  about 4;
>Pyreferra hesperidago #9929:  2; see attached images to compare the subtle
differences between this and preceding species;
>Agonopterix sp.:  2 (the only micro)

Curiously, except for the Agonopterix, all of these moths are closely
related and are all on the same plate in MPG!

Good mothing,

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch