[ncsc-moths] Warning--terrible photos!

  • From: Lori Owenby <loriowenby@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 12:36:24 -0400

Please help!  My brain hurts . . . .

Photo 1:  I did not even realize that I had photographed this moth on June
29.  It was in the top left corner of another photo I cropped so I made
another copy and re-cropped it to center on this yellow and black species.
I've been through the book several times and cannot seem to find a match.

Photo 2:  Assuming that this was just another "The Beggar Moth"--I snapped a
shot without either climbing up for a better view or pulling the sheet down
for a better view.  Sometimes I could kick myself!  I don't know if it is
even possible to get an id from this photo.

Photo 3:  I was leaning toward Metarranthis . . . .but nothing fits quite
right.  I can't seem to find anything with that double white splotch in the
forewing.  I see these a lot in the woods in the daytime--never had one come
to the sheet at night--and they NEVER sit still.

Hope you all have a safe and happy 4th of July!

--
-----
Lori Owenby