[ncsc-moths] Re: Wandering Brocade?

  • From: Doug Allen <dougk4ly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 19:42:59 -0500

Thanks Kyle and Hugh,

   I can find any species on MPG with the Hodges number by going to the MPG
*species index* or even googling "hodges 9420" although your shortcut Kyle,
is a good one.

 When you asked if the picture was Wandering Brocade, 9420, I wanted to
find 9420 in the *plate index* which would include other similar
family* *members
so I could eyeball 9420 and other family members on the same MPG
page. However, with all the taxonomy changes, the hodges numbers are very
out of sequence, and I could not find the plate with 9420 on it, even
though 9414, 9415, 9416, 9417, 9418 are on plate 2 of the 3
Pseudeustrotiini-Apameini-Arzaminithe plates. So are many higher Hodges
numbers starting with 9425, but no 9419- 9424!  Try it.  They are on some
other plate, and I don't know how to find that plate????

My reason, perhaps flawed, was that the Hodges numbers were more based on
phenotype than the more recent sequence which, I think, is more based on
genotype.  I thought I could eyeball comparisons easier with the similar
Hodges numbers lined up, but that wasn' possible.

Hugh, were you aware that Kyle's sighting is from NH where Phosphila
turbulenta has not been recorded?  It has, however, been recorded very
close to the NH border.

Tonight is our last warm night for awhile, and I have had 6 species at the
black light so far including Atteva aurea Ailanthus Webworm which I have
been expecting, another 4 common late fall moths, and a new, unIDed moth
for the year.  This is fun, but where is my vacation from mothing?

Doug Allen  Windmill Hill SC