[ncsc-moths] Re: Wandering Brocade?

  • From: Doug Allen <dougk4ly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 10:03:05 -0500

Hi Kyle,
   First, really have enjoyed looking at your photographs and reading your
posts from previous months and years.  I lived in the northeast,
Schenectady, NY, for 30 years.  Where are you at college?
I'm a mothing newbie so my skills are mostly just pattern recognition based
on the MPG pics which are all out of Hodges sequence for Noctuoidea.  I
can't even find 9420 on the plates without going to the species plates,
so I must be doing something wrong.  I can't find anything on MPG or BG
closer to your picture than Wandering Brocade Moth, but all the pics there
and in Peterson show the reniform spots as more whitish as you know.  Some
of the west coast species are pretty close, too.  The chestnut color of
your moth and the almost continuous dark vertical areas which the AM line
passes through are not completely matched in any photographs I've found so
far.  I'm looking forward to comments from the more experienced mothers.

Doug Allen  Windmill Hill, SC