[ncsc-moths] Re: Moth ID Request

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:27:53 -0400

I second your advice about always taking a photograph even though you think
you know what it is--I have found new species that way more times than I'd
like to admit.  Also, I have identified many new species of micros that
appeared to the naked eye as dull and boring but when viewed in
magnification on the camera screen jumped out as magnificent, beautifully
patterned creatures.  And as I scroll through the MPG plates I always do the
slow plates which show multiple images of most species--as Harry points out,
sometimes the image shown on the fast plates doesn't look anything like my
moth, but the perfect match shows up on the alternate images.

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm