[ncsc-moths] Re: Moth ID Request

  • From: "Harry Wilson" <harrywilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:09:54 -0400

Thanks, Merrill, that seems to be it. I thought it was most likely a pyralid of
some sort, but I just could not see it. Sometimes as I look through the MPG
plates I see the barest hint of a possibility of a match, and clicking on the
photo I see additional photos that show my moth. Yesterday I had that
experience with another lifer, Crowned Phlyctaenia, 4953, attached. It looked
like a negative image of a Large Lace-border, but reduced in size. I was really
happy to make that ID. I would have thanked you earlier, but my wife and I took
in a wonderful production at Playmakers in Chapel Hill last night -- Drood,
based on an unfinished Charles Dickens work. The cast consisted of middle and
high school students, and they were terrific. I just had to add that plug. And
we just recently got back home after spending the night there.

Just an observation for others on the list, I have adopted a rule of thumb,
even though I must frequently remind myself of it. On occasion I see a moth
that I think will be a certain species, but I tell myself, "When in doubt,
photograph. When sure of the ID, photograph. You may be wrong." This has been
the best advice I could ever give or receive, because many times I have been
wrong. My yard list is much the better because of it.

Harry