[ncsc-moths] ID help

  • From: Lori Owenby <loriowenby@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:24:30 -0400

I've had quite the luck here at the park finding moths this weekend (with
the exception of today).  Here is what I've had since Thursday:

#09889 Wanton Pinion (Lithophane petulca)
#10994 Reddish Speckled Dart (Cerastis tenebriferia)
#06966 Curve-toothed Geometer (Eutrapela clemataria)
#10021 Grote's Sallow (Copivaleria grotei)
#06658 The Half-wing Moth (Phigalia titea)
#08393 Ambiguous Moth (Lascoria ambigualis)
#07474 Common Eupithecia (Eupithecia miserulata)
#03597 Red-banded Leafroller (Argyrotaenia velutinana)
#06586 Brown-shaded Gray Moth (Iridopsis defectaria)
#06326 Common Angle (Macaria aemulataria)
#10495 Speckled Green Fruitworm Moth (Orthosia hibisci)
#03542 Masked Leafroller (Acleris flavivittana)
#03543 Stained-back Leafroller (Acleris maculidorsana)

I also have three that so far have eluded identification.  On the first one,
I was leaning toward Udea profundalis?  The second was a very small (~4mm)
and had some wing damage so it may be impossible for a positive ID.  And the
last one was a fairly small geometrid(?) that I just can't seem to pin down.
 It looked to be about the same size as a Half-wing Moth--but it was very
high up on the education building window and I didn't have the time to get
the ladder out and climb up for a better shot.

--
-----
Lori Owenby