[ncsc-moths] Re: 21 species for Dec- need help with unidentified

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 08:22:09 -0800 (PST)

Doug,

There's a dark form of Vetch Looper that shows here early and late in the
season that doesn't seem to be very well documented. When I first started
mothing, it fooled me too. It's usually the most common form I see until mid
March when lighter ones start showing up. Then in late September I'll start
seeing them again.

The main reason I don't think your moth is 1422 Homaledra sabalella is the
placement of the spots in relation to the centerline. On Homaledra sabalella,
the top spot is closer to the center than the lower spot. It's reversed on your
moth. I can't say for sure what it is but 2281 Dichomeris ligulella, Palmerworm
Moth looks like a possibility and is a common moth. Maybe someone else will be
better able to help with this one.

Not being able to ID the members of Gelechioidea you see is a common enough
problem. Most of us that have been doing this for awhile have folders full of
unidentified Gelechioids. Many species aren't pictured on MPG and new species
are being described all the time. I still have more to add but here's my album
of unidentifieds.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107941137732251962394/UnidentifiedGelechioidea?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN