[ncolug] linux job

  • From: nor thern <zboson2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:45:23 -0800 (PST)

saw this one while surfing, lot of items on wish list.

Subject:      Embedded Linux / Hardware Wiz
From:         "Joe" <ecomm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups:   comp.os.linux.embedded
Date:         14 Nov 2005 12:45:32 -0800

We're seeking a consultant with significant
development experience
configuring/modifying/developing for linux
distributions, with a
particular emphasis on embedded systems (although this
project may use
i386 hardware).

We seek someone to consult/advice on both the purchase
of hardware used
to construct a particular hardware device and to
choose, design,
implement and package a widely supported distribution
of the linux
operating system and package management system running
on that hardware
(probably debian, although we are open to
suggestions).

If you're interested/have the right
experience/knowledge, shoot me an
email.

Sincerely,
Lee

The hardware requirements and specifications will be
formalized during
development of the project. Currently the hardware
should meet the
following requirements:

Core Specs:
1)    The cost of the core hardware (box and all
internal components,
including PCI cards and storage) should be as low as
possible with a
maximum of approximately $400-500 dollars.

2)    The system should be designed to limit risk of
failure. The
system should use solid-state flash storage and
possibly a fan-less
processor.

3)    The system should be as simple and easy to
manufacture and
construct. Ideally all components should be off the
shelf, and the
computer itself should be purchased pre-made, with
only a few upgrades
necessary before use. We may consider making a deal
with a large PC
manufacturer to build and service the boxes under
contract. The more
standardized the hardware (i386 etc...) the easier
such an arrangement
would be to arrange.

4)    The hardware should support all the old legacy
input and output
devices, wireless via an RS232 connection, Ethernet,
enough storage to
support the OS, Core System Software, and 512MB of
data. Drivers and
PCI interface cards for said legacy devices will be
chosen and
completed outside the scope of this project.

5)    All hardware components must be linux
compatible.

The Operating System / Package management system
design should meet the
following specifications:

1)    The operating system should be built using a
highly stable,
time-tested, widely supported flavor of linux. Maybe
Debian?

2)    The operating system must NOT carry a licensing
fee/cost.

3)    Ideally the OS should be 100% open source
(GPL,LGPL etc...).

4)    Choices of software/OS should ensure MAXIMUM
reliability,
stability and security.

5)    The OS should include a built in package
management system, and
should be easy to configure, compile packages for, and
contain an
extensive collection of stable software pre-built for
it.

6)    The OS should be boot off an internal flash
memory card, and the
OS and data storage should run off a ramdisk (unless
said flash memory
card can support at least 15 years of continuous use).

7)    The system must be designed to self-upgrade off
of our central
package repositories. All software (custom and
non-custom),
configuration files, and data stores must be
upgradeable through this
package management system (you will be responsible for
setting this up,
and ensuring we can maintain it). The system must run
automatically,
and must not require ANY intervention from a human.

8)    The system must ensure that access to our
repositories is limited
only to our authorized boxes (permission must be
revocable on the box
level). A compromised box must not compromise other
boxes or the system
as a whole. This is most likely best handled via
disposable
certificates.

9)    SSH access to the box should be available via
certificate access
only. A single root password must not be used across
multiple boxes.

10) All core software and the OS must be easily
installable on the
boxes.

11) One install image for the system and custom
software must be
provided for easy install. It is assumed that all
machines will be
setup with this initial image, and updates to all
non-custom and all
custom software will then be made immediately
afterwards using the
system's software update system (off our package
repositories). A
method of inputting box specific stuff (certificates
etc..) must also
be accounted for.

12) Complete instructions for a simple method of
creating packages for
all custom software and drivers must be included.

13) The operating system/system software should be
stripped down to its
most minimal components to minimize security,
stability and maintenance
issues.

14)  All non-individual-box specific settings
(repository address,
central repository keys, check intervals etc...) may
be stored in
standard text file configuration locations as long as
all those files
(individually or as packages) are updateable via the
standard software
update off the repository.

15) The operating system and core system software must
be upgradeable
remotely but should have a long life-cycle (either
through choice of a
particular distribution or through minimization of
installed
components) of at least 5 years to minimize the
frequency of updates to
the core system/OS.

The design of the operating system and hardware must
ensure extremely
high levels of security, reliability and up-time.
Between 5000 and
20000 boxes will be installed in geographically
disperse areas across
the united states. The cost to manually reboot boxes
is high. The cost
of malfunctioning boxes could be even higher. This box
must be designed
to run stably and securely.