[ncolug] Re: Why Linux Has Failed Beginners

  • From: David Fierbaugh <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 11:05:01 -0400

I've re-written this a little bit. If you read all the way through the
original, you should read all the way through this.......

Let's take it from the Top.

Over the years, I've had a number of people asking me what I believe the
problem was with MS Windows being easy enough to administer for the public at
large. To be frank, I don't believe that there is a simple answer to this. To
me, there are a number of factors that play a role in keeping the average
person from being able to administer Windows effectively.

Failure to Find Common Ground.

One the biggest issues that I have seen are the total lack of cooperation from
within the corporate side of Windows. Not with the Windows community mind
you, rather with the company which makes Windows. It can be truly hair
pulling, let me tell you.

There has been a lot of press about Microsoft chooseing to "do it better" and
yet failing to understand that part of "doing it better" also involves
working together in an effort to get Windows administration out of the hands
of the geeks and into the hands of people who need it the most - the beginner
PC user.

Hardware Detection.

Compared to just a few years ago, hardware detection with most Windows systems
has been fantastic. I have seen a number of instances where Linux was able to
locate printers on a PC that would have required a driver download for XP to
run them. It's a horrible feeling, knowing that those Linux users don't need
the CD's that come with every piece of hardware out there while Windows users
still do, no question about it.

Remember, it is no longer a geek-only club with the "use it as it is or leave
it" attitude that used to drive people away from Windows towards Linux back
in the day. Things are changing...

"All Aboard, the Misinformation Train is Leaving the Station."

A common theme that I have heard when people explain to me why they have no
real desire to stay with Windows, is the perceived learning curve. When
pressed, the person being asked will eventually divulge that they were told
that it was simply too difficult to learn. Finally when pushed into giving
their "source" of this information, the truth ultimately comes out - they
heard about it from another disheartened user speaking about their
feelings, and by the plethora of Windows shops where their technicians install
everything for you (for a nominal fee.)

And there it is. So many people point to Microsoft as the biggest contributor
to the misinformation machine when in reality it is simply the people who are
tired of feeling frustrated when attempting to learn how to actually use the
Windows operating system. You know something, I honestly don't think that I
have a simple answer to this.

Final Thoughts...

We have work to do. It's not enough to make Windows more accessible to those
who would like to keep it on their PCs. No, we need to work at making Windows
more accessible for the common user.

So what do you think? Should Windows users looking to simply try something
different consider looking into a beginner-friendly distribution of Linux? Or
should they instead, stick with they don't know how to use for this Linux
thing that they'd have to learn something to use? It's your call. Actually,
it's a decision that each Linux user has to make everyday someone questions
them about the operating system

For the last several years, I've made my living on people who could not
maintain their MS Windows boxes. Those who choose to keep Windows usually
turn into repeat customers, no matter how carefully I setup anti-virus and
spyware protection programs. Those who chose to have me setup Linux and give
them a class usually just ask the occasional question, which doesn't require
a trip to see them (minimum 2HR charge.)

The problem is not specifically that Linux is too hard for average users to
administer. It's that average users have been trained to buy a new computer
or reinstall every 2 years because that's what it takes to use Windows unless
you know how to administer it, and keep up with antivirus, etc.

Average users choose not to administer their systems. They treat them like
cars, get in, turn it on, use it, turn it off. No thought to ever bothering
with changing the oil, checking the plugs, etc. Most Windows users don't get
that updating anti-virus (etc) is equivalent to putting gas in your car; if
you don't do it, you won't go far.

Subject field.