[ncolug] Why Linux Has Failed Beginners

  • From: Henry Keultjes <hbkeultjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NCOLUG <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 08:51:25 -0400

This article lacked "printer-friendly" so I did the work so you can give copies to people or email it as a whole article.

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2255

Let's take it from the Top.

Over the years, I've had a number of people asking me what I believe the problem was with further migration over to Linux by the public at large. To be frank, I don't believe that there is a simple answer to this. To me, there are a number of factors that play a role in keeping Linux out of the mainstream limelight.

Failure to Find Common Ground.

One the biggest issues that I have seen are the total lack of cooperation from within the corporate side of Linux. Not with the Linux community mind you, rather with the companies who make Linux their business. It can be truly hair pulling, let me tell you.

There has been a lot of press about Linux companies who choose to "do it better" and yet they fail to understand that part of "doing it better" also involves working together in an effort to get Linux out of the hands of the geeks and into the hands of people who need it the most - the beginner PC user.

Now lately there has been some work toward finding a way to bring a clear set of tandards that all of the Linux community can bet on. One example might include the push to make the Jack Sound System the sole method for making audio happen in the Linux world.

<>Seriously, you pick up any Linux magazine and one of the top stories <http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2255#>
is almost always going to be something to the effect that Jack is the answer to all Linux audio woes. And you know something, I think that it's a great start. Still, we need to push further.

Page 2 of 4

Hardware Detection.

Compared to just two years ago, hardware detection with most distributions has been fantastic. Heck, I have seen a number of instances where Linux was able to locate printers on a PC that would have required a driver download for XP to run them. It's a great feeling, no question about it.

Now here is the catch - WiFi
<http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2255&Itemid=0&limit=1&limitstart=1#>

cards. With recent advancements in FreeBSD
<http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2255&Itemid=0&limit=1&limitstart=1#>,

I have seen indications that they could in fact be outperforming the Linux crew with regard to WiFi card chipset detection. It's sad, but a couple of quick Google searches will yield some interesting results along this line of thought.

So this leaves us with one serious problem: why is it that one WiFi card will work on one distribution and not on another? It's true, what will work perfectly on SuSE, Linspire, and other beginner friendly distributions will not work on other similar minded distributions. Simply Mepis is a great example of this. Besides the fact that they blatantly ignore the GPL, their wireless support is terrible. Now this begs the question, whose fault is it really?

Well, the short answer is no one directly. Since most of the wireless support for beginner friendly distributions comes from the now famed ndiswrapper, most people looking to jump right into a newbie ready distribution expect that the chipset drivers for their particular card are already preloaded onto their PC as they install Linux. It sounds silly to those who have been using Linux for sometime now, however, the
fact remains that this is a growing expectation that we must begin to adhere to.

Remember, it is no longer a geek-only club with the "use it as it is or leave it" attitude that used to drive people away from Linux back in the day. Things are changing...

Page 3 of 4

"All Aboard, the Misinformation Train is Leaving the Station."

A common theme that I have heard when people explain to me why they have no real desire to try Linux is the perceived learning curve. When pressed, the person being asked will eventually divulge that they were told that it was simply too difficult to learn. Finally when pushed into giving their "source" of this information, the truth ultimately comes out - they heard about it from another disheartened user speaking about their feelings with regard to one particular distribution.

And there it is. So many people point to Microsoft as the biggest contributor to the misinformation machine when in reality it is simply the people who are tired of feeling frustrated when attempting to learn the open source operating system
<http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2255&Itemid=0&limit=1&limitstart=2#>.

You know something, I honestly don't think that I have a simple answer to this.

Now I did address that bootable CDs are not used nearly enough at Linuxfest Northwest in Bellingham, WA back in 2004. The collective reaction when stated aloud to a pro-Linux group that in many ways they were at fault for holding Linux back was interesting to say the least. My reasoning was actually quite simple and was actually further illustrated as one new Linux user stood up in support of what I said next. "Unless we take the time to actually work with new users and while doing so, lose the attitude, Linux will remain a geek-only endeavor."

It was at that point that the gentleman that stood up previously and said aloud that he just fails to understand why Linux can't "get their act together." He was quickly frowned at for hitting the nail right on the head. It really comes down to standards and support. Linux has made huge inroads with their community support; however, the tandards still remain a ways off.

Page 4 of 4

Final Thoughts...

We have work to do. It's not enough to make Linux more accessible to those who would like to add it to their extra PCs for some good old fashion open source experimentation. No, we need to work at making those bootable CDs more accessible.

Dateline: Yesterday, late night. I was at a local supermarket buying some needed groceries and the clerk made note of the fact that I was buying a Linux magazine. This was of interest to him apparently as he was a programmer who has been on a Windows box for many years.

He began asking me if I knew anything about Linux and mentioned that while he had no interest in using a Linux distribution on a full time basis, he had often times found himself fascinated with the idea of developing applications
<http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2255&Itemid=0&limit=1&limitstart=3#>

for other Linux users.

Then came the big question - where do I get a good distribution and do I have to install it? Before he had a chance to finish his sentence, I had already ripped out the demo copy of Fedora Core from the magazine that I was buying at the checkout stand along with my other purchases.

So, will this guy ever actually end up using it? Will he suddenly drop Windows in exchange for Fedora? I seriously doubt it myself. No, the fact remains that he is a Windows user and has no desire to stop working with that OS. But I was thrilled that he was willing to take some time to see if Linux might also offer him some new opportunities.

So what do you think? Should Windows users looking to simply try something different consider looking into a beginner-friendly distribution of Linux? Or should they instead, stick with they know and leave the Linux world to the Linux geek. It's your call. Actually, it's a decision that each Linux user has to make everyday someone questions
them about the operating system